1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Dash lights

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 12:39 AM
Nathyne
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash lights

I am running into some issues with my dash lights speedo/heat/tach etc. also the interior light doesn't work unless turned on manually. I checked the fuses and according to the diagram the cigarette lighter should not be working aswell if this certain fuse is blown but regardless i checked them all seem to be fine. any ideas? i can't think of anything else i'm sure it has to be a simple solution thats right infront of my face lol.

Thanks
Nathyne

Old 12-15-2009, 12:59 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Sounds like it is a wire problem. Maybe a bad ground. We have the wiring diagrams int the FAQ in this section.

Old 12-21-2009, 02:04 AM
Nathyne
Rookie

Ok think i may have found my problem with the dash lights (and heater lights etc)! tried testing the red connector behind the clust, nothing but i found this random wire looking at the wiring diagram looks to possibly be a ground anyone know for sure before i ground it?

Old 12-21-2009, 08:15 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I believe that wire is for a under dash light. It is unused on mine and others I have seen. Do not ground it, without knowing where it is going!

Old 12-21-2009, 01:06 PM
nomorejnk

I have the same wire on my '92. It is also unused and I assumed that it was intended to be left empty -- like a code test connector or something not something that should be grounded.

Old 12-21-2009, 06:32 PM
Nathyne
Rookie

damn that would have been far to easy to fix haha. well i checked all the bulbs (knew this was very unlikely to be the problem) and cleaned both connectors on the back of the cluster and still no luck. going to check the grounds next time i feel like going to my garage and freezing for a while...

Old 12-22-2009, 08:38 AM
pashadowops
Veteran

Originally Posted by Nathyne
...going to check the grounds next time i feel like going to my garage and freezing for a while...
Hey, at least you have a cold garage to pull your truck into. My cold garage has a dead Silhouette, tiller, pond (that hasn't been installed yet), lawn mower, and a host of other crap that will not allow another vehicle to be pulled in. I was changing a radiator in the snow not too long ago. Sure would've enjoyed my cold but dry garage.

Quick Reply: Dash lights