DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   1st Gen Dakota Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-dakota-tech-66/)
-   -   starter grinding, wont start now (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-dakota-tech/228338-starter-grinding-wont-start-now.html)

BCtrip 01-14-2010 01:14 AM

starter grinding, wont start now

1994 Dodge Dakota 3.9L

Its been making a bit of a grinding sound sometimes on startup, today it wouldnt even turn over, The starter sound like its going, but it just makes an awful grinding sound and sounds like its slipping.

Im wondering if I should replace the whole starter motor, or if it could be a worn out gear or something(flywheel?) thats slipping and not the starter?

Thanks for any tips

Crazy4x4RT 01-14-2010 02:05 AM

Most likely just the starter teeth are destroyed. Just replace the starter. The flywheel teeth can be chewed up too. Just crawl under the truck and take a look.

BCtrip 01-14-2010 03:07 AM

Thanks I will look into replacing it. I wasnt aware I could just go under and check the teeth(shows what I know..lol). I will do that tomorrow for sure.

I've heard horror stories on replacing flywheels in cars. Is it a big job in the 1st gen dakota?

Thanks again

grswat 01-14-2010 08:56 AM

Assuming you have an automatic you would be replacing the torque converter as the starter engages the torque converter. Which means you would be dropping the transmission.

BCtrip 01-14-2010 07:41 PM

The whole torque converter assembly??? Those are like $1000 plus new.. and I paid $300 for the truck.

I could be wrong but it doesnt make sence that it would ware the Whole assembly.. Can someone please confirm?

BTW it Is an automatic, Thanks

Crazy4x4RT 01-14-2010 09:17 PM

The torque converter would be around $200-300. Check www.autozone.com for a real price. If it is that damaged.

Replace the starter first. Even if some of the teeth on the torque converter is rounded off it still might be enough with a new starter.

BCtrip 01-14-2010 11:38 PM

That looks much more reasonable, Thanks again.

I will replace the starter and hope that does the trick. :)

mazda7475 01-16-2010 07:53 PM

you can replace the ring gear on a standard, not sure about an auto but i would check it.

DO NOT replace the starter and start it without making sure your ring gear is ok. check every tooth. a guy replace the starter on his 76 ford torino in motor vehicle repair (painted just like the starsky and hutch car, it was so cool) and chewed up the drive gear on the new starter.

BCtrip 01-17-2010 04:51 PM

Just wanted to give you guys an update.

Finally got some decent weather today. Went under the truck to check things out and start unbolting the old starter. I was feeling for the top bolt and I noticed the starter was Quite loose. I torqued it back down properly and the truck fired right up no problem.

I never even would have considered the starter working itself loose.. but you live and you learn I guess, lol.

Thanks again for the help.

Crazy4x4RT 01-17-2010 06:51 PM

Easy fix!!