1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Fuel Gauge Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 12:56 AM
oxygen454
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Here is the pic, sorry its so big.

Name:  IMG_3727.jpg
Views: 4682
Size:  62.7 KB

Old 09-05-2010, 08:30 PM
SEG388
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Helpful info for all: My pump finally went out git it replaced and I can actually go forward and actually know what it is like to have a working gauge.

Most likely it's the fuel pump assembly for you folks.

Old 09-06-2010, 04:03 AM
comingbackdown
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by seuf
I failed to mention. I am recieving no reading from the gauge not even a low fuel light. There also appears to be an indicator in the gauge for the fuel door open is this correct. I'm a newby when it comes to Dodges. Not up to date on what options were available.
Should find troubleshooting instructions in the manual. Some of them are a pain, but they work.

That said, I am no longer a member of the non-functional fuel gauge club.
Dropped the tank and fixed it. It wasn't any of the usual causes, either. That truck has been a wild card since the day I got her, and it'd figure she'd be a wild card there.
Of all things... I guess you could say that the sending unit was out of adjustment. I had to pull it off the pump assembly and tear the unit itself down into its individual pieces, but it got fixed without spending a dime. If you want the full story, let me know.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:14 PM
vulch

Hi looking for help 94 dakota 5.2 l 4wd fuel gauge was acting up i don't drive the truck so I'm going on my sons info he ran out of gas a few times so i replaced the pump sending unit now i drive it and the Gauge was stuck around 1/4 tank i know this is wrong more like empty .i removed the fuel Gauge cleaned connections no change when i move the needle by hand to full it goes back to 1/4 .when i move the needle to E it goes to 1/4 or about if i unplug the connection on the back of the cluster it drops to E no low fuel light at all any ideas driving me nuts I'm going to try and get a used cluster or fuel Gauge and try it.when the key is turned off does the gauge stay where it was or should it go to E

Last edited by vulch; 10-07-2010 at 10:44 PM.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:02 PM
Dodge4lyfe
Veteran

mine drops to E when turned off, but then again mine works somewhat, but is innacurate...

Old 10-08-2010, 08:01 PM
issakar
Captain

u say you replaced the fuel pump recently then started having this problem? perhaps the float is hung up inside the tank; a fairly common issue when replacing the pump. I had to adjust mine a bit when i did the pump on my truck.

Old 04-02-2011, 08:24 PM
erikstrieter

I just bought a 96 Dakota SLT Ext cab 4x4 with the 5.2 today and my fuel gauge shows empty too. I put about 9gals in it as the previous owner was doing the whole tripomoter

Old 04-02-2011, 08:30 PM
erikstrieter

Originally Posted by erikstrieter
I just bought a 96 Dakota SLT Ext cab 4x4 with the 5.2 today and my fuel gauge shows empty too. I put about 9gals in it as the previous owner was doing the whole tripomoter
Damn iPhone. So, I noticed when I was driving the gauge would move just a little but still go to empty. So, question 1, is the sending unit and the pump one unit, 2, wheres the low fuel light located (in the gauge, speedo area, tach, etc)?

Old 04-03-2011, 02:05 AM
marcar1993
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fuel tank, pump, and sending unit questions.

Ok, so lets start off. I have the typical dead fuel gauge. With my truck came a new used sending unit, which as you know is a pump too. I'm not too fond of putting in a used fuel pump, origins unknown, but I don't have $200 to blow either. So, I have read that at some point the pump and sender were separate parts, what year would that be and could I swap that style unit into my truck?
Next up, I have a 15 gallon tank, I want a 22 gallon tank, what is involved in the swap? I assume new straps, but is there more to this, as I expect?

Thanks guys.

Old 04-03-2011, 11:02 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by erikstrieter
Damn iPhone. So, I noticed when I was driving the gauge would move just a little but still go to empty. So, question 1, is the sending unit and the pump one unit, 2, wheres the low fuel light located (in the gauge, speedo area, tach, etc)?
Yes Sending unit is one piece, it includes pump and fuel float/indicator unit.
Thanks to oxygen454 he found the float/indicator unit separate. It is not listed in any book. Go by the part number he provided.

Originally Posted by marcar1993
Ok, so lets start off. I have the typical dead fuel gauge. With my truck came a new used sending unit, which as you know is a pump too. I'm not too fond of putting in a used fuel pump, origins unknown, but I don't have $200 to blow either. So, I have read that at some point the pump and sender were separate parts, what year would that be and could I swap that style unit into my truck?
Next up, I have a 15 gallon tank, I want a 22 gallon tank, what is involved in the swap? I assume new straps, but is there more to this, as I expect?

Thanks guys.
The Sending unit is one piece, it includes pump and fuel float/indicator unit. You can not buy the pieces individual. The pump along is not in the books. You can replace just the fuel pump, but your going to have to do all the work to match pressure ratings and volume ratings with size. If you find one that matches it exactly post up where and the part number.

Other than that the sending unit is your only choice.

Quick Reply: Fuel Gauge Not Working