1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Cheap Power Adders 5.2l Magnum

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 02:27 PM
Khaoskustoms
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by miggity
Depending on your budget, you may want to do the M1 2bbl and 52mm TB or headers. When it comes to making more power, you get what you pay for. Don't bother trying to find a blower until you've opened up the intake and exhaust side more. A blower also makes that 5spd tranny a ticking time bomb. Stick with easy stuff you can just bolt on that won't affect driveability too much, then go big with blowers and N2O when you have the money to fix the stuff you're going to break.

Putting a blower on an engine that still has factory PCM, TB, Intake, and exhaust manifolds will result in more problems than power. You can't just slap on a blower and turn the key and expect big power on a magnum.

- miggity
The easy stuff that bolts on isn't going to gain you much in power. You wanna make power, do your easy bolt ons then change the cam and heads to take advantage of the bigger throttle body and headers. You want to make more power and use ALL STOCK components, get a blower. MOST BLOWER KITS ARE DESIGNED FOR A STOCK ENGINE. No upgraded TB's, no headers, nothing, stock engine. I've done all the bolt on stuff to my dakota when I had the v8 in it. I got sick of spending money on parts that didn't do much and didn't help the fuel mileage. I had 2 choices, rebuild the motor into what I wanted, or do something different. I did something different and put in a 4cyl Cummins Turbo Diesel. It is mostly stock with just $400 injectors and a $200 used turbo, I make 200rwhp and 450rw ft/lbs torque. About 250hp at the crank and 550ft/lbs at the crank.

Quick Reply: Cheap Power Adders 5.2l Magnum