1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

What do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 09:47 PM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by shadowthedakota
just some advice incase you didn't know...never run a no muffler and no cat exhaust system. the cat and muffler prevent the motor from cooling down to quickly and if you take both of them away then you get the valves cooling down to quickly which will cause them to warp(or worse). imo, cherrybombs and flowmasters sound really good on these trucks.
Just the opposite actually. If you run a straight piped exhaust with no muffler, cat, etc., there will be too much heat building up at the heads and it can burn up the exhaust valves. The backpressure effect of any exhaust restriction slows down the air, giving it more time to cool around the heads and carry more heat out. It was more apparent back in the days of carbs when a zero restriction exhuast system would lean out the mixture, but it still holds some validity today.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:16 PM
LO 619
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the advice. In cali the emissions laws are very stringent and A couple older guys at school gave me heads up on the laws so I'm going to find out if I can put in the cherrybomb glasspack, if not then I'll have to find a stock replacement. I was told that even if the emissions pass that the inspection wont pass, as "modified" exhausts are illegal unless you can prove that the stock replacements weren't available. Even a 3" bolt on tip is considered illegal in california!

Right now I have a crack in my driver side manifold and def an exhaust problem. My truck sounds like crap!