1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

1994 dodge dakota Overdrive Issues please help

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 01:19 AM
Justgotmy1stdakota
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your the best mate..Ill let u know tomorrow. I have helped others all over the country trouble shoot electrical issues on the buick regal 1998 because I owned one and did all the work myself and I love it karma paid me back!!!!!! Also a shop told me I needed 500$ worth of labor and oxegen sensors and such to pass emissions...Then I went to another shop and 120$ for a cat conv and bam I passed . So you have to understand why I do work on my own..everyone is a scam and someone out there will say I need a tranny and do nothing but a sensor and charge me a arm and a leg....Ill keep you posted tomorrow 4 sure have a great nite... God Bless Gary

Old 05-08-2010, 01:21 AM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lol, no problem man! Thats why I'm here!

I got you beat on that cat... I paid $55 for one and welded it on myself to pass inspection... then I took it right back off again :P

Old 05-08-2010, 09:32 AM
Justgotmy1stdakota
Amateur
Default Welp I finally got the news

So I finally took the time to get the codes right and its a code47 Tranny overdrive circut open or malfunction. Is there any way you can tell me what I can do to test this . I have no clue where the wires for it even plug into the tranny. Open or short circut. I know this is the issue 100% any and all help would be appreciated... Thanks soo much for your time sooo far..... Gary

Old 05-08-2010, 01:03 PM
95_318SLT
Champion

The overdrive solenoid is in the transmission's valve body. This isn't something I'm going to get into cause the factory service manual will explain how to replace it way better than I can.

Honestly though, if you ever had the truck on while you had any part of the overdrive electronics unplugged, that could have thrown that code. You should reset the computer and see what codes come back.

Last edited by 95_318SLT; 05-08-2010 at 01:06 PM.
Old 05-08-2010, 02:58 PM
Justgotmy1stdakota
Amateur
Default so I just got home from work and am starting to take a few things

Originally Posted by 95_318SLT
The overdrive solenoid is in the transmission's valve body. This isn't something I'm going to get into cause the factory service manual will explain how to replace it way better than I can.

Honestly though, if you ever had the truck on while you had any part of the overdrive electronics unplugged, that could have thrown that code. You should reset the computer and see what codes come back.
I will reset the pcm, however I noticed the kid who owned it before me chose to cut the wire harness to the radio. In addition I have no power going to the radio. The fuse panel shows power going to the radio socket but none going to the radio.. Is there any chance these two problems can be interlinked? I would hate to change the overdrive solinoid and find out it is still having the same problem. Also do you think his faulty electrical work may have shorted the pcm? I just wanted to get a general idea before I finallly give up and take it to a shop begging them to fix. Sometimes I wish I dont take people on thier word but I am nieve and it seems to me this is a electrical issue caused by his faulty wiring. The fuse to the overdrive and radio were blown when I originally got the truck. (He had wire going in place of a fuse.) I changed back to fuses and now the fuses are good and power is going to the fuse but no radio and still no O/D button. Thanks again and sorry for all the questions..Sincerly the Backyard Mechanic. (front yard to my friends)

Old 05-08-2010, 03:35 PM
95_318SLT
Champion

Honestly, if it were me, I'd change that ECT sensor... there has to be a reason the PCM threw code 17. Then, with that sensor changed, reset the computer and see what works after that and what codes come back.

At this point, it could be a lot of different things, but what I just said is probably the best, cheapest way to start hunting down the problem.

Did you ever download the FSM I gave the link for? That will have wiring diagrams for you to fix the radio!

Old 05-08-2010, 05:09 PM
Justgotmy1stdakota
Amateur

I guess it was a code 12 to start the codes not a 17 I just mistaken and thought it was a 17 after resetting the pcm it is now throwing code 45 and 37 which I think both go to the short or open overdrive situation. I will look over the diagrams you shared as soon as they finish downloading. (30 mins) and then see if I can trace the wires from the overdrive and find a burnt wire or something. I did take the whole dash appart and physically looked at the wire harness inside the car and nothing seems to be wrong with it. I am guessing if it is a wire or something (fuseable link) it will be under the hood ... All wires going to tranny were double checked again and it doesnt appear any have damage or otherwise... Thanks again for your help.

p.s. do you think I should swap out the pcm? if so let me know as maybe there is a short in it due to the shabby electrical work by the previous owner. I once upon a time did some shabby electrical work in my 1998 buick regal (radio) that made the tranny shift funny after driving for 10 mins and this is why I am concerned. I changed the whole interior of the car wire harness and fixed the problem and am wondering if this is a electrical issue is this wouldnt be a bad idea to do.(once all means of fixing are exausted)

Old 05-08-2010, 06:00 PM
Justgotmy1stdakota
Amateur

update!!!!!! just checked the two wire ETC you TOLD me to change and its got no power running to it.. I put my test light on it and no power...what could cause this? i assume its supposed to get power to transmit the signal correct? let me know..thanks

Old 05-08-2010, 06:38 PM
95_318SLT
Champion

Originally Posted by Justgotmy1stdakota
update!!!!!! just checked the two wire ETC you TOLD me to change and its got no power running to it.. I put my test light on it and no power...what could cause this? i assume its supposed to get power to transmit the signal correct? let me know..thanks
Measure the resistance across the sensor. Here is a chart from the FSM...

ECTSensorChart.jpg?t=1273358466

Last edited by 95_318SLT; 05-08-2010 at 06:41 PM.
Old 05-08-2010, 07:56 PM
Justgotmy1stdakota
Amateur
Default ok tell me what u think

I suck dood sorry...I just now noticed the sensor I was testing was a fuel related 2 prong sensor . I will tomorrow uninstall the ac compressor and get to the sensor that is the ECT I believe it is located to the right of the hose correct. I stink man wish I knew more about dodge..... Ill keep you posted on what I find out...Thanks a bunch again god bless... Gary

Last edited by Justgotmy1stdakota; 05-08-2010 at 09:10 PM.

Quick Reply: 1994 dodge dakota Overdrive Issues please help