DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   1st Gen Dakota Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-dakota-tech-66/)
-   -   95 Dakota No spark - Not splice (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-dakota-tech/286691-95-dakota-no-spark-not-splice.html)

Ulysses 04-05-2011 08:38 PM

95 Dakota No spark - Not splice

Hey everyone, I've been checking out this great forum for information since I have had my truck, and it has been a great resource.

A few weeks ago I noticed the problem whenever it had rained, no spark and no fuel pump. I got on here and found the issue of the notorious under fuse box splice corroding. I found the very red wire that goes from a 3:1 and corrodes. Mine was green with a single thread of wire connected. A bit of solder, heat shrink tubing, and some electrical tape and everything was great. Started her up and drove like a champ.

So, here I am about a week later and no spark. This time the fuel pump is kicking on and priming, so I am suspecting another problem. If you would recommend I check fuel pressure, I have a gauge but have never used it yet. I guess this could be a good first use for it.

1. I want to check my Crank sensor, so far I have only read to check resistance. It is a 3 wire plug as I understand it, so what pins do I test resistance through? Can someone give me a more detailed test pattern?

2. The other thing I would like to test is the Coil, I have only ever tested one other coil and it was a pack style that I could just test resistance between the different plugs. (Much like the 4cyl neons I believe) Is there some similar test for our Dakota coil?

Thanks in advance for your help, and please let me know if there are any other things you would recommend checking out. I will post a follow up as I make progress.

Crazy4x4RT 04-05-2011 09:22 PM

Do you have any check engine light codes?
The service manual shows how to test the sensors and the coil. You can download it in the FAQ in this section. Just a few posts above this one.

Ulysses 04-06-2011 02:37 PM

Thanks for the fast response, I got a copy of the Service manual and see how to test these. I'll give that a go this evening and see what I discover. I do not have a CEL, I have an OBD-II reader, but I think on these 95's its OBD-I, I don't know anything about the scanners for OBD-I.

Will post results tonight, any other input is still greatly appreciated.

Hahns5.2 04-06-2011 05:05 PM

Probably the coil.

dbilik 04-06-2011 11:51 PM

For OBD-I you can use the key turning sequence to pull up codes. Offhand though, I am not sure where I have it written down. I am sure someone here knows it.

festerw 04-07-2011 01:12 AM

On-off-on-off-on will flash the check engine light for codes for OBD 1.

Ulysses 04-11-2011 02:05 PM

Thanks for the Info about OBDI, I will try the key sequence and let you know what I get.

As for the no spark, I tested coil, secondary resistance was a little bit high, like 14Kohms, so IDK. Primary resistance was fine around 1ohm

Cam Pos Sensor and Crank pos sensors were fine. I plug everything back in and it starts up. I'm glad it started on up, but feel like I didn't really accomplish anything either.

Irony. I am a little bit suspect to there having been some corrosion in the wires. While it was started up I went around under the hood and used the back of a screwdriver to kind of 'tap' on the connectors. I was not able to get it to stall or give any signs of a problem though. I'll see how it is after next rain.

Let me know what you guys think of the coil secondary resistance, it was a little higher then the service manual said it should have been, but I don't get the impression its bad if its running.

Thanks for all the help, Ulysses.

Hillridge 09-20-2011 07:09 PM

Edit - made my own thread