1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

94 Dakota Leaking Rear window

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 10:29 AM
Deathbringr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 Dakota Leaking Rear window

Hello all,

I have had a water leak for the past few weeks in my dakota that I have now finally located. Actually kind of feel like an idiot after I unwired my subwoofer/amplifier box and everything and yanked it out to find it. In any event, the leak is coming from the sliding rear window on the passenger side (closer to the rear quarter panel). It appears it is leaking where the window itself sits into the rubber seal. I was able to confirm by spraying water and what have you right around the seal. From inside the truck, I was able to see the water just pouring in from the bottom of the window/seal. What would be an acceptable fix to this issue. The side pieces of my rear window are of plexi glass. Would a new window gasket be in order, or should I use my windshield weatherstripping tools and pull back on the rear window seal and put a band of clear silicone down there? I am very mechanical as I rebuild wrecked vehicles on the side when I am not busy doing my engineering thing.

Thanks

Old 06-26-2011, 12:17 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Did you replace the glass with plexiglass? That may be your problem it may not be thick enough or is flexing and not holding strong against the seal. Replace it with the correct glass.

Old 06-26-2011, 12:42 PM
Deathbringr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The plexiglass has been in the truck now for six (6) or so years. The reason I installed it was because I blew my rear window out with my subwoofers. It's also the same thickness as a stock piece of glass.

Quick Reply: 94 Dakota Leaking Rear window