1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

92 dakota cranks but no spark

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 05:50 PM
dodgetruck2
Record Breaker
Received 67 Likes on 66 Posts

Wondering if I found the issue. I think I am in lack of a cam sensor and whatever else should be in the distributer.

Name:  1005111646.jpg
Views: 2204
Size:  83.6 KB

Old 10-05-2011, 07:47 PM
atthewmartin114
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the inside of that dis should have a pick up coil in it and from the looks of things it does not. at this point you need to mark everything on the dis. including the base location the angle of the pin every like thing around the dis so you can remove it and replace it because its easier to just put a dis in it. doing pick up coils are a thing of the past its more cost effective to replace the dis.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:49 PM
atthewmartin114
Veteran

this like is the same view as your dis. there is a picture of what it should look like
http://www.am-autoparts.com/Dodge/Da...35/526082.html

Old 10-05-2011, 08:39 PM
dodgetruck2
Record Breaker

Yep it didnt have one, picked one up, installed new cam pick up and crank sensor, and not expecting it to even begin to fire off (gas has been in it for over 2 years) she cranked maybe a second and fired off. Idles great, only issue is ce light and maint required lights are on. Plus lack of a moving tach needle (woulndt this be done by the crank sensor?).

Bein its sat a couple years I am thinking this is normal but there seems to be smoke or steam coming off it as its running. It doesnt smell like smoke though.

Fluids all checked good and hoses are decent.

Old 10-06-2011, 04:53 PM
atthewmartin114
Veteran

the smoke and steam it because it hasnt ran in several years. i would also requiment getting it timed. if i do remember correctly its computer times and the light wont do much but get you in the ball park. also the tack may just be bad in the dash and the MIL could be on for crank and cam coralation from you turning it over and the computer not reading the crank. also i would be putting fuel stablizor are changing the oil asap. also not that is running pull a compression check and make sure your with in 25% of each other. its always a good thing to know before you start running any motor after its been sitting. also good way to check ring wear after a few k i check again it should change a little being that the rings will expand and tightin back up but nothing more then 5 or 10 lbs. and good luck i hope it work out to be a good truck for ya

Old 10-06-2011, 08:47 PM
dodgetruck2
Record Breaker

Planning on it being a beater/fence fixxing rig, as well as a get around truck for college especially in the winter so I dont have to fire up the diesel for 10 blocks.

Intent is a big steak maker on front and a flatbed on back. as well as a tool box and stuff.

I let it idle for a half hour - 45 min today and the smoke seems to have gone away. Tach started working and the CE light went off but the maint required is still on. Poured a can of seafoam into the remaing 1/4 tank and will top it off once I get the plates installed and can get to a gas station.

Also poured in a jug of Lucas tranny repair/anti slip. The guy in o'reily swears by the stuff so its worth a shot. Otherwise time for that manual swap.

Quick Reply: 92 dakota cranks but no spark