1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

'93 3.9 V6 - new battery, still won't start...

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 04:40 PM
MacDak
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default '93 3.9 V6 - new battery, still won't start...

My 1993 Dakota V6 3.9L has a new battery, but still acts like dead battery. When the new battery was put in, I had O'Reilly check for bad starter, etc., and they said it checked out okay. When it does kick in, it starts immediately, like it always has. Any ideas?

Old 10-23-2011, 06:33 PM
GreenDak22
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does all the wiring have good connections?

Old 10-23-2011, 09:47 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Like GreenDak22 said, make sure the wiring connections are good, clean, and tight.
Battery terminals (if it looks a little dirty, clean them as well)
Starter wiring terminals (there are two of them).

Old 10-23-2011, 10:05 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Like said above make sure all wiring is clean get a wire brush make it shinny. Clean the battery side and starter and clean the ground wire at the ground at the engine and body and battery.

Old 10-24-2011, 07:04 PM
MacDak
Professional

Great! Thanks, I think the starter cable might just be the problem, I will check that and let y'all know how it goes. My Dakota is away from me for a couple of weeks, so I will have to wait to check it. But, I really think you guys might have nailed the problem for me. Since the battery is new, I think those cables are okay, but starter cable might be rusted. Like I said, the starter and alternator checked out good.

Man, I love this old Dakota! Best vehicle I have ever owned, and that is many.

Old 10-24-2011, 11:58 PM
mulder25
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had one of the terminals on my battery that got a little loose. One day, when it was cold, the truck died at a light when i hit the breaks. The bad connection made it so i couldn't start the truck. Thankfully i was on a downhill slope, so i could roll through the light to the side of the road, but it pissed people off. The accessories worked fine, and it clicked, but wouldn't turn over. A bad connection, not a broken one. Make sure everything is tight, and free of insulating debris.

Old 10-25-2011, 02:23 PM
MacDak
Professional

Mine is clicking, just a one time click, then, if it catches, it starts right up. It's kind of like a bump, or sometimes nothing. I don't think it is battery cable on the battery at least, since I just put new battery in and cleaned the cables. When I get back to it, I will check the starter cables, and ground cable... I'll post back when I learn more; thanks again.

Quick Reply: '93 3.9 V6 - new battery, still won't start...