1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Rollover Valve/ Fuel vapor valve-Yes the one you just broke changing your fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 03:34 AM
Ryan Dailey
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rollover Valve/ Fuel vapor valve-Yes the one you just broke changing your fuel pump

So I thought I would share my three day adventure trying to find a way around paying the dealer $115.86 for the rollover valve I broke changing my fuel pump out. The dodge design is pretty bad and the nipple breaks off when you pull the vapor hose off the valve. I was unable to find a match to an aftermarket dodge valve......So I went the direction of...Oh man....A chevy vapor valve (which is made a/m). The part number is 911-001 made by dorman -This was 16.21 with tax at a local supply store here. I also picked up a filler neck gasket since mine was all rotted out. You must remove the old valves rubber gasket (carefully) and the dorman valve fits like a glove. I removed the metal ring and orange oring, then pushed the old gasket onto the valve. Then I pushed the orange oring back into its groove with a key (again push carefully, but it does fit). Now the old hose will not push onto the new valve. I got some fuel line from auto zone and a barbed nylon fitting from ace hardware to join the two fuel vapor lines together. You have to use a flat head and a rocking motion to push the gasket into the fuel pump (be carefull) I will post some pictures to help everyone out....I hope this helps someone else out.

Attached Thumbnails Rollover Valve/ Fuel vapor valve-Yes the one you just broke changing your fuel pump-imag0269.jpg   Rollover Valve/ Fuel vapor valve-Yes the one you just broke changing your fuel pump-imag0270.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
tjsup1978 (04-22-2021)
Old 10-16-2012, 12:02 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Cool. Easy fix. I'll post this up in the FAQ if needed by others.

Old 10-16-2012, 08:02 PM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker

I glued mine back together. worked fine ever since(i hope)

Old 11-01-2017, 02:39 PM
cazrnbsn
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What vehicle did you put this on? Is the truck running OK. Heard the Dorman 911-001 wasn't a match on the 93 Dakota 3.9L V6 (1st Gen). Also looked at a Dorman 911-061 also told it wouldn't work. Hope yours is doing well.

Old 11-01-2017, 03:05 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 131 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by cazrnbsn
What vehicle did you put this on? Is the truck running OK. Heard the Dorman 911-001 wasn't a match on the 93 Dakota 3.9L V6 (1st Gen). Also looked at a Dorman 911-061 also told it wouldn't work. Hope yours is doing well.
See your other post. That fix from the FAQ page is supposed to work fine.

Old 04-23-2018, 03:57 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker

My body hurts too much to unload the truck so I went and got the rollover valve- Advanced Auto has it on the shelf.
The two pics show it installed the the two screw drivers I needed. I also use petroleum jelly to help it along. The wider screw driver is for pushing the orange rubber O ring back into place, it has to get inside the rubber gasket that holds it to the pump assembly body. I didn't do that the first time and it came off. It may seem like the orange O ring is too big, it isn't, it will fit be patient. Next the narrow screw driver may seem too narrow like it will cut the rubber but it won't if you are careful. It helps get that inner lip in. Just push in a bit at a time the width of the screw driver while holding down the valve very hard. It will want to pop out of the black gasket because of the petroleum jelly.

tjsup1978 (04-22-2021)
Old 04-22-2021, 10:14 PM
tjsup1978

Thanks for this post, it got me out of a jam. The Dorman 911-001 does fit, the new pump came with a new rollover grommet, what i did was take an Exacto knife and lightly opened up the inner grommet until the orange o-ring fit snug without the valve popping up. As for as the hose, yes it will not fit on the new valve, luckily there was enough excess to cut back the dried up part leading to the valve. I cut it back a few inches sprayed some penetrating oil into it and used a flat blade to ream it to size. Again thanks for the post and i hope this will help someone in the future.

onemore94dak (04-25-2021)
Old 01-26-2022, 03:09 PM
KevinSandidge
Veteran

Originally Posted by Ryan Dailey
So I thought I would share my three day adventure trying to find a way around paying the dealer $115.86 for the rollover valve I broke changing my fuel pump out. The dodge design is pretty bad and the nipple breaks off when you pull the vapor hose off the valve. I was unable to find a match to an aftermarket dodge valve......So I went the direction of...Oh man....A chevy vapor valve (which is made a/m). The part number is 911-001 made by dorman -This was 16.21 with tax at a local supply store here. I also picked up a filler neck gasket since mine was all rotted out. You must remove the old valves rubber gasket (carefully) and the dorman valve fits like a glove. I removed the metal ring and orange oring, then pushed the old gasket onto the valve. Then I pushed the orange oring back into its groove with a key (again push carefully, but it does fit). Now the old hose will not push onto the new valve. I got some fuel line from auto zone and a barbed nylon fitting from ace hardware to join the two fuel vapor lines together. You have to use a flat head and a rocking motion to push the gasket into the fuel pump (be carefull) I will post some pictures to help everyone out....I hope this helps someone else out.

Have to ask. Throwing safety out the window, would the fuel pump work if we just corked the hole? thanks

Old 01-27-2022, 08:05 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by KevinSandidge
Have to ask. Throwing safety out the window, would the fuel pump work if we just corked the hole? thanks
Probably not a good idea. The rollover valve allows for air to move in and out of the tank as you fill it up and as it drains in use preventing a vacuum. It also has a check valve in it to stop gas from leaking out if you roll it.

Old 01-28-2022, 12:15 AM
KevinSandidge
Veteran

I gotcha; thanks. we'll just have to be extra careful and not break it when we transfer it to the new pump. Did this once before on this truck, aargh. I can't believe a brand new fuel pump doesn't come with that valve; the other pieces come with and to find that no one sells a replacement valve explodes my head.

Quick Reply: Rollover Valve/ Fuel vapor valve-Yes the one you just broke changing your fuel pump