1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

The Victim Build Thread -- Featuring frame replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2016, 02:00 PM
DukeDomB
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tbugden
I think the next project is a lightbar and I got a bunch of scrap tubing for it. Can't stand having the headlights bolted to the bumper as they are...looks ugly... but they are functional as high beams...stock headlights BLOW hard on this truck.
You can pick up fresh new stock headlamp housings on aftermarket... It ends up being a big difference, I didn't realize how badly mine were yellowed and frosted over until i put in some new ones from Rock Auto. Makes a big difference in brightness and aesthetics.

Old 09-15-2016, 10:36 AM
tbugden
All Star
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I probably will end up getting new headlights if I can't find a setup from a non-aero style truck.

So the last thing I did to the truck was I replaced the wiper linkage bushings. Mine weren't busted but one of them was cracking pretty bad and I figured I'd like to avoid removing the cowl again so I did them. I believe 93 Ragtop and ragged89 both had some good advice regarding the bushing replacement. It was quite straightforward and probably took me about 40 minutes from pulling them out of the truck to having them back in, and it probably would take me 20 minutes if I did it again.

Old 09-15-2016, 11:14 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

those wiper bushings, as you indicated are pretty easy and quick to replace. And well worth it!!

Old 09-15-2016, 03:22 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

They are easy to replace.

I'll add (too late now for you!) that you SHOULD put some grease (I use the same chassis grease I use on the ball joints et al) in the nylon cups before you pop the pivots into them.

RwP

Old 09-15-2016, 09:24 PM
tbugden
All Star

Originally Posted by RalphP
They are easy to replace.

I'll add (too late now for you!) that you SHOULD put some grease (I use the same chassis grease I use on the ball joints et al) in the nylon cups before you pop the pivots into them.

RwP
I put a very small amount of silicone brake lube on them.

Old 02-17-2019, 09:01 PM
kramerkolby
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool write up man! Utilized it as I completed a frame swap on my '95. Very similar, frame rusted out, driver's floor pan rusted out

Old 02-18-2019, 02:45 PM
tbugden
All Star

Very happy you found it useful! Since this thread I have swapped the motor from a V6 to a 318 Magnum and put a ladder rack on it. The thread for the engine swap is here: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...ld-thread.html

Up next is a repaint, I'm thinking of going green and possibly doing a "proper" spray job this time. I'm also planning do do a flatbed conversion, not necessarily because I want to but because the rear wheel arches are rotting out and I haven't the skill to fix them. Then I want to put a new stereo and some decent speakers in it, possibly a subwoofer. Maybe a locker for the rear....ha, it never ends.

The following users liked this post:
kramerkolby (07-29-2020)

Quick Reply: The Victim Build Thread -- Featuring frame replacement