DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   1st Gen Dakota Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-dakota-tech-66/)
-   -   1988 Dakota V8 swap (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-dakota-tech/378831-1988-dakota-v8-swap.html)

haeseler333 08-26-2014 09:58 AM

1988 Dakota V8 swap

Looking to put a 360 into an '88 Dakota. I have the whole drivetrain, I just need to drop it in. I am ordering engine/transmission mounts and other accessories from engine-swaps.com. What will need to be done to the suspension and braking systems? That is my only concern with this build. Also, how far should I go with upgrading the suspension?
Thanks

RalphP 08-26-2014 12:32 PM

With the change to the V8 in 1991, they also swapped to the 6 lug wheel pattern, so I don't know any part #s for better brakes for the early 5-lug Gen1s. If you find any, PLEASE LET US KNOW - I want better brakes for my 1988!

As to suspension - the springs should swap from a 1991-1996 according to RockAuto (well, the Moog and Raybestos part #s for the 3.9 are the same for a 2WHD from 1987 to 1996 ...). I'd upgrade to the V8 springs in the front.

I'd also seriously consider the stoutest ball joints you can find, and swapping to the Energy Suspension bushings / sway bar end links / sway bar bushings in the front, and the poly spring bushings in the back (along with a new pair of hangers and new bolts).

As to mounts - if it's a later model 360 and has the bosses on the block, you SHOULD be able to use the same motor mounts you use for the 3.9, espeically since the 5.2 and the 3.9 for a 1992 both show the same part numbers. The transmission mount will depend on if the new transmission mounts like the old one, or if it takes a different mount. That may save a couple of dollars *grins*

Then again, if it's an older V8 block and only does the "elephant ears", yah, you'll need some custom mounts.

RwP

haeseler333 08-26-2014 01:02 PM

Thanks, Ralph.

Unfortunately, the Dakota came with the 4-cyl, so the engine mounts will be needed either way. That is where it gets a little complicated. lol. Would the V8 coils still fit?? I can wait for the brakes for now, I am more worried about getting the suspension to hold the extra weight. I was also thinking of if there was enough room, to weld in shock brackets and install coil overs. That's always in the back of my head in case I can't find all the right parts

RalphP 08-26-2014 11:31 PM

Well, the V6 motor mounts (purchased new - I really didn't mean to put 20+ year old motor mounts on a new motor!) would still fit. I was cursing the I4 motor mount horns when doing the front suspension of my V6 '88 *grins* since they were there, even though it's a factory V6.

The springs will fit, yes.

Coming from the I4, unless you also have the rear axle, I'd take it easy *grins*

RwP

haeseler333 08-27-2014 10:05 AM

Good to hear the v8 coils will fit regarding their length and dia. I also had planned on getting the Energy Polyurathane bushings for everything. Would I need to install new control arms, or just stronger ball joints? Cause if so, that wouldn't be hard to find them. Yes, I do have a rear end for this drivetrain as well.
Thanks

RalphP 08-27-2014 11:42 PM

Good ball joints can be found. I never DID find control arms for my 1988 2WD.

I did the ES bushings on my Dakota when I did the front end a couple of months ago. They're already squeaking, but then again, I've already put 5,000 miles on them ... and that's with several trips I've done in the Cougar instead (full A/C in the Cougar, need R134a in the Dakota).

I used some Raybestos Professional Grade ball joints in my rebuild.

The upper ball joints MAY need to be pulled / inserted at a shop - our Ingersoll/Rand impact wrench (supposedly over 400 lb/ft) wouldn't budge one of the joints (screw in), and the one that worked was a 1,000+ lb/ft beastie at the front end shop.

Sounds like the only possible problem will be the driveshaft, unless it comes out of an identical-length Dak along with the motor and diff.

RwP

haeseler333 08-28-2014 08:07 AM

I looked at Raybestos ball joints I will go with them.

As for removing/installing, I will see how my I/R does, and if I need to bring it to a shop to have it done, so-be-it. It's still worth it!

The drive shaft will need to be custom made. There is a well-known, high quality place, 10 miles from my home that makes them for any application out there. I will go through them for that.

The only problem I am having is finding a part number for the V8 coils from a '91/'92 (around then) to go on to my '88. I can't find them ANYWHERE!!
Thanks,

RalphP 08-28-2014 05:20 PM

May have to use the V6 springs, which will squat a bit more in the front - and I'd stick with linear springs if you have to.

WesternChassis shows some V8 springs with varying amounts of drop such as 1.5" for $168 or so, plus shipping, for a pair. https://westernchassisinc.com/dodge-...-coil-springs/

The stock V6 springs will squat a bit more due to the extra weight, but maybe not that much. I'd not try the I4 springs unless I wanted a LOT of squat out of it.

RwP

haeseler333 08-29-2014 07:38 AM

Thanks again, Ralph.

I'm an unsure as to why, but when I looked up the V6 springs from Moog, and compared to the I4 springs from Moog, I noticed the I4 springs had an extra half inch they could compress. The spring-rates matched. Just the amount they can compress was different. However, I would rather have the stronger, sturdier, V8 spring. I'm not too worried about how soft/stiff of a ride I could have. I just want it to hold the weight!! lol.

It seems I will be looking to get the 1.5" drop springs from Western Chassis. That'll give me the right about of rake I am looking for too, I believe. Will the original control arms work well enough with the little bit of drop?? I wouldn't think so, and I may need to install appropriate knuckles for the drop as well. My plan was new knuckles anyways!!
Alex

haeseler333 08-29-2014 08:34 AM

Well, I did a little bit more research. I found a set of 2" Lowering Spring from Belltech, for the V8 model: http://www.belltech.com/products/bel...ng-set-37.html

They are a little bit more expensive, but they're the only ones I can find that also have a 2" drop spindle available. Would I get away with just using the spring and NOT the drop spindles?? Hmmmm.
Alex