1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

New member with some issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 11:15 PM
92V8Dakota
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking New member with some issues

Hello. I recently picked up my truck, it's a '92 Dakota, 5.2 V8, 4X4, LE Ext. Cab. Love the truck so far but will love it more once I've sorted some things out. So the truck runs great when it wants to. Sometimes its got a violent miss that shakes it quite a bit under load. Also it likes to stall when the gas pedal is applied and then released quickly from a stop. I pulled codes and got a 27 - Injector control circuit, and code 13 - No change in MAP from start to run. I cleaned the crap out of the IAC this morning thinking that would help, and it did for a 5 minute drive immediately after. Parked the truck for a few hours and when I went to drive it it started stalling again. Also it smells like its running very rich. I'm not sure if I should just replace the MAP and IAC and hope that fixed it or if it actually is a bad injector or something else.

Also there's some electrical gremlins. When I test drove the truck prior to buying it, the pass side window went down and didn't go back up. I tested the motor and it's good. So probably a new switch? Also the power locks don't work, except for to unlock from the passenger side switch only (to lock doesnt work) replace the switches again? All fuses are good. Also while driving the other day my radio, power mirrors and interior lights (dome and map not gauges) stopped working at the same time.

I've ordered a tune up kit for it, including oil and filter, plugs and wires, fuel and air filter, and cap and rotor. All stuff I usually do to any new vehicle I buy.

I know it's got its fair share of issues, but I bought the truck anyways because it's body is in good shape and it's got all the options I was looking for, and the price was right! It also came with some sweet looking mud tires! Hopefully I can have her running like new soon! Here's some pics after a wash and a new windshield.

Name:  20141230_093317_zpsqbsncate.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  46.3 KB
Name:  20141230_093353_zpst7hhhh4q.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  41.9 KB

Old 01-06-2015, 11:18 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Be sure to check the MAP sensor and the vacuum hose to it - if that's screwed up, your truck won't run worth crap (since that's one of the main inputs, along with the TPS and the O2s, on how the truck is running and how much fuel to shoot in.)

RwP

Old 01-07-2015, 12:04 AM
Alacoque
Rookie

+1. With that code 13, you can't go wrong with replacing your MAP sensor. As far as I know, if your IAC was bad it would throw a separate code. After you've replaced it, might as well reset your computer by disconnecting the neg battery terminal for about 10 seconds.

Congrats on the new truck and welcome to the forum!

Old 01-07-2015, 10:14 PM
92V8Dakota

Cool, well I'm going to order a new MAP sensor and hope that's it. They're not too expensive anyways.

Old 01-07-2015, 10:16 PM
Alacoque
Rookie

Let us know how it goes.

Old 01-15-2015, 08:52 PM
92V8Dakota

Just an update. Installed all the tuneup parts I ordered. Issues still persist . Haven't got the MAP yet hopefully that fixes it. Also think I'll order a new IAC just in case.

Old 01-18-2015, 12:02 AM
92V8Dakota

Does anyone know if the v6 and v8 magnum engines use the same map sensor and iac valve? There's a dakota at the local junkyard but it's a v6 and I could save a lot of money on the parts by getting them used.

Old 01-18-2015, 03:37 AM
Thomas_kota
Rookie

Originally Posted by 92V8Dakota
Does anyone know if the v6 and v8 magnum engines use the same map sensor and iac valve? There's a dakota at the local junkyard but it's a v6 and I could save a lot of money on the parts by getting them used.
Id wager it would but idk. Try phoning a parts store and see if its the same part number for a dakota with a v8 vs v6

Old 01-18-2015, 02:07 PM
DukeDomB
Rookie

The rock auto catalog shows that the part numbers are the same for both the MAP and IAC. I think you're safe... but it's funny because I had always thought that they were not interchangeable; when I was preparing for my V-8 swap, an emissions referee told me that they were not. Guess he was wrong.

Old 01-19-2015, 10:26 PM
92V8Dakota

Ok so I picked up the used map and iac. Cleaned both and installed. This got rid of my code 13 for bad map sensor, but I still have code 27 for injector control circuit and the truck doesn't run any different. Once it's warm it still stalls when you accelerate from a stop to about 1000 rpm and then release the gas. I noticed it looks like there's a lot of slack in my throttle cable but couldn't find a way to adjust it. Could that be my problem? I've got a funny feeling it might be the computer. From what Ive read online that seems to be more common than the injectors or wiring going bad. Any thoughts? Also would a computer from a 94 Ram Van with the same 5.2 engine work? That's the closest thing at the local junkyard.

Last edited by 92V8Dakota; 01-19-2015 at 11:06 PM.

Quick Reply: New member with some issues