1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

New Fuel Pump and Fuel Filter still no fuel pressure

Old 05-16-2016, 07:16 PM
wrench_ninny
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy New Fuel Pump and Fuel Filter still no fuel pressure

Alright, This is where things get out of my wheel house. I'm good at taking a part and putting it on, not diagnosing problems but i've done a lot of research at this point but its making me more confused.

My gfs dodge dakota 1993 died going up a hill and we had it towed to tires plus where they tested the fuel pressure and said it was 7 psi and they wanted to put a new fuel pump and fuel filter on for big bucks along with a new distributor, ignition coils, and spark plugs, and etc etc.

They wanted more than the truck is worth so i raised the bed off the back and put a new fuel pump and fuel filter on. I bought a fuel injection gauge and hooked it up to the schrader valve on the fuel line and its not getting any pressure.

When you turn the key to right before starting the fuel pump makes noise and you can feel the hoses kick but its not getting enough pressure i guess. Brand new delphi fuel pump. When i put my finger on the valve on the fuel rail it does run out with no pressure.

Im at a loss of what direction to go. Every thing on google says if its not getting fuel pressure its the fuel pump but i just put a new one in.

Ive followed the lines all the way from the fuel filter to the engine and there doesnt seem to be any kinks and its beyond me to tell how a fuel line is clogged.....

any help or direction would be greatly appreciated. Eventually i will have to call a mobile mechanic or finance a car for my gf but i would love to try and resolve this problem on my own.

Old 05-16-2016, 07:25 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 131 Likes on 123 Posts

Sounds like a blockage. Maybe disconnect the lines at both ends and blow them out?

Old 05-16-2016, 09:29 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Silly question. Does this Gen1 have the in line filter on the frame like the older Gen1's do? If so, a) are the lines clear there; b) have you replaced that one also; and c) can you blow through it? I'd also take the filter off and see if you could get gas out of it when you do the power-on 2 second run.

RwP

Old 01-06-2017, 01:02 AM
Jon Johnston
Rookie
Default Engine dies. When driving.

my truck does the same thing. Everything is fine then the gas gauge needle will drop all the way down. Then engine will die. Won't restart. I start shaking wires around until I hear the relays clicking (leaving the key to the run position.
I thought I had it fixed. By fixing some wires on the connection going into the computer.
Next day same issue happens again. It's almost like the polarity of the wires change. ( Why the fuel gauge drops). I am about to go buy a fuel pump. But now that I know that it didn't salve your problems. Now I'm stuck wandering what the issue is.

Old 01-06-2017, 01:08 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 131 Likes on 123 Posts

I had a fuel gauge issue it was the orientation of the pump in the tank. As I did research to figure that out I found out there are a lot of issues with the wiring harness to these pumps. Wrench_ninny Pressure should be 32psi+ up to 42 or so. It could be the new pump sending unit is bad, that happens. You'd have to hook it up and power it to full pressure with hose you know to be clog free from the pump to the pressure gauge. There are YT vids of how to lift the bed up and replace it. I ended up with a used one that works fine. The wiring issues were mainly bad connection at the plug ends or corroded wires in the harness. I guess another option is to run a known good wire as a temp power source???? to see if full power gets you full pressure. I should say I have no idea how to do such a thing.
Jon Johnston I'd do some research on here in the FAQ section there are a few common spots for wiring failures. Wire polarity does not change. You are describing loss of power. There is a common failure spot under the relay box on the driver fender. Read the FAQ section there is a lot there.

Last edited by onemore94dak; 01-06-2017 at 01:10 PM.
Old 03-12-2018, 04:13 AM
1999_V10_2500
Default I'm guessing that your fuel lines are rubber ?

If the lines are in fact rubber, I think they have deteriorated internally and not necessarily in between the pump / filter/engine. Replace it all , I would. Or do a section at a time except that defeats the whole point of doing that if it's a partial job . I hope this helps. It's due anyway and it'd eliminate a major portion of the fuel system as the culprit. Good Luck
Originally Posted by wrench_ninny
Alright, This is where things get out of my wheel house. I'm good at taking a part and putting it on, not diagnosing problems but i've done a lot of research at this point but its making me more confused.
Originally Posted by wrench_ninny

My gfs dodge dakota 1993 died going up a hill and we had it towed to tires plus where they tested the fuel pressure and said it was 7 psi and they wanted to put a new fuel pump and fuel filter on for big bucks along with a new distributor, ignition coils, and spark plugs, and etc etc.

They wanted more than the truck is worth so i raised the bed off the back and put a new fuel pump and fuel filter on. I bought a fuel injection gauge and hooked it up to the schrader valve on the fuel line and its not getting any pressure.

When you turn the key to right before starting the fuel pump makes noise and you can feel the hoses kick but its not getting enough pressure i guess. Brand new delphi fuel pump. When i put my finger on the valve on the fuel rail it does run out with no pressure.

Im at a loss of what direction to go. Every thing on google says if its not getting fuel pressure its the fuel pump but i just put a new one in.

Ive followed the lines all the way from the fuel filter to the engine and there doesnt seem to be any kinks and its beyond me to tell how a fuel line is clogged.....

any help or direction would be greatly appreciated. Eventually i will have to call a mobile mechanic or finance a car for my gf but i would love to try and resolve this problem on my own.

Old 01-23-2019, 08:43 PM
66three83
Captain
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Going to try not to be too sarcastic, but someone who doesn’t know what a brake reservoir is shouldn’t be giving diagnostic advise. A OBD scan will not tell you if your fuel pump is bad!! There are no diagnostic sensors in a fuel pump. Not on our trucks anyway. Most likely not your TIPM. That being said, camper mama is right about it being your fuel pump.

Old 01-24-2019, 09:45 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,165 Likes on 2,919 Posts

Originally Posted by 66three83
Going to try not to be too sarcastic, but someone who doesn’t know what a brake reservoir is shouldn’t be giving diagnostic advise. A OBD scan will not tell you if your fuel pump is bad!! There are no diagnostic sensors in a fuel pump. Not on our trucks anyway. Most likely not your TIPM. That being said, camper mama is right about it being your fuel pump.
And you are resurrecting a year old thread, (that the last posted also resurrected a year old thread....) why?

Old 01-24-2019, 12:03 PM
glenlloyd
Veteran
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Good topic to come up like this though, my truck has inop level sender and I lose pressure every night. I have good pump pressure when operating, I put a gauge on the fuel rail it pops to 45 with the key on, but it bleeds down overnight. My pump setup is the type without external frame rail mounted filter. Have to say I'm not a fan of that TBH.

In this cold I have to cycle key twice then crank, then cycle again twice and crank again, repeat until truck starts. Once the line pressure it back up it's all good but that takes a while.

I'm thinking the regulator might be bad, the pump might be original, but it also could be injector bleed down. The injector side would be my last choice though and since the level sender is inop it's probably just better option to replace the pump and see how that does. Wouldn't mind replacing with older style pump with external filter since I'd also likely replace the lines as well.

Steve

Old 02-25-2019, 09:10 AM
ZEN357
Veteran
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You can find a fuel pump here that won't break your bank account.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...+pump&_sacat=0

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Fuel Pump and Fuel Filter still no fuel pressure