1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Little cracks in the bed where the tail lights mount

Old 05-01-2017, 02:43 PM
Carl_S
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Little cracks in the bed where the tail lights mount

Any suggestions on how to repair the little buggers ? The cracks are by the tail light mounting areas. Just a few possibly from some idiot using oversized screws and not getting the light assemblies mounted correctly in place. I have oxy/accy torch and mig welder as my options.

Attached Thumbnails Little cracks in the bed where the tail lights mount-20170424_141432.jpg  
Old 05-01-2017, 03:16 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 131 Likes on 123 Posts

Clean the paint off in a large enough area to be able to be sure you have found the full extent of the crack. It will probably be bigger then shows through the paint. Then drill a hole at the very furthest end of the crack, 1/8 or 1/16th should do the trick of stopping the crack from spreading. Then repair it by welding or with bondo. I'd go with bondo to avoid warping things in that area where the mount needs to seal. If there is rust try to get rid of it before using the bondo or it will come alive in the bondo environment.

Search this Thread