DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   1st Gen Dakota Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-dakota-tech-66/)
-   -   Power steering pump replacement (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-dakota-tech/405733-power-steering-pump-replacement.html)

Toby Warford 07-28-2017 06:19 PM

Power steering pump replacement

Well, looks like either a hose clamp backed off, the rubber line is give out, or the plastic tank is cracked. Either way, I plan on just rellacing it all. Its going to give sooner or later anyways.

Replacment seems easy enough, just wanted to stop in and see if anyone has any names to stay away from. Id like to order from advanced auto. But will go to the dealer if new be.

Thanks!

Oh, this is for my 96 v8 dakota 4x4. If theres any tips, thatd be great too. I'm going to get a pump with the pulley, and reservoir already attached.

volaredon 07-29-2017 10:06 AM

my 96 has a steel "ham can" looking reservoir. like cars from the 60s/70s had. this truck is also V8/ 4X4.. which has a different steering setup from a 2wd.
I just had to replace the high side hose on mine last weekend. about $18. it was seeping pretty bad. the low side (return) is just bulk 3/8" P/S hose, most parts stores have this on a bulk roll ffor a couple of bucks a foot, 2 feet should ne plenty.
but your leak could be anywhere from the pump to the lines to the gearbox. hoses seem the most common.

RalphP 07-29-2017 10:39 AM

To volaredon, I'll add that this would be a perfect time to replace the two hoses also; they're as old, and at 21 years approx. of age, they're about time to be replaced.

I'd also clean the whole assembly (including that recirc ball gear box) off good, and verify where the leak is; again, due to age, I'd be expecting that gear box to be about to start leaking also. Might not be; but I'd clean all that off and verify.

RwP

Toby Warford 07-29-2017 10:41 AM

Thanks guys. I will give her a look.

Toby Warford 07-29-2017 04:00 PM

Got lucky. Its just a hose. Now to figure out which hose it actually called name wise. It comes off the steering box and goes to the pump. If you're looking at it from the front, its the hose that connects on the left in the steerinf box. Seems real easy to replace. Thankfully I have open end ratchet wrenches after a lince wrench brakes the connection.

RalphP 07-29-2017 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Toby Warford (Post 3351869)
Got lucky. Its just a hose. Now to figure out which hose it actually called name wise. It comes off the steering box and goes to the pump. If you're looking at it from the front, its the hose that connects on the left in the steerinf box. Seems real easy to replace. Thankfully I have open end ratchet wrenches after a lince wrench brakes the connection.

Well, it's either the high pressure hose (most likely if it's leaking!) or the return hose.

The return is usually hose-clamped to the reservoir or the pump; the high pressure is crimped on fittings both ends.

Worst case, look at the pictures on RockAuto; see which one it resembles, and order that one. From RA, you can get bunchteen (well, actually, for a 4WD pressure hose, 4) model numbers to help cross.

RwP

Toby Warford 07-29-2017 09:02 PM

Done. Wasn't too bad I suppose. $27 with fluid. Still see some drops, but could be the puddle that was sitting on the front shelf of the frame. I know, I need to clean it all up and watch it. But, the hose isnt leaking nor are the fittings it seems. Worse comes to worse, ill replace the low side as well.