DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   1st Gen Dakota Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-dakota-tech-66/)
-   -   Diagnosing ignition vs fuel (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-dakota-tech/408139-diagnosing-ignition-vs-fuel.html)

93 ragtop 10-23-2017 06:47 PM

Have you had a fuel pressure guage on it when it stumbles and afr jumps up? If so, does the pressure stay steady? My thoughts are, if you were loosing pressure, ie. a bad pump, etc. that would cause it to go lean.

robertmee 10-24-2017 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by 93 ragtop (Post 3363110)
Have you had a fuel pressure guage on it when it stumbles and afr jumps up? If so, does the pressure stay steady? My thoughts are, if you were loosing pressure, ie. a bad pump, etc. that would cause it to go lean.

I have a FPG right on the fuel rail. It's pretty steady at 40 PSI....might shake a little between 39 and 40, but never drops by more than 1 PSI.

I should add, I don't drive this truck very much...every few months. I'm sure the gas is oldish, and I'm thinking maybe from sitting, one of the injectors is gummed up?

robertmee 12-19-2017 07:29 AM

So, thought I'd update on what I found, and what happened to the truck:

The stumbling issue turned out to be a few things:

- cracked vacuum line to MAF
- three plug wires that were arcing due to high heat exposure at the turbo
- fuel pump was intermittently shorting out at the sending unit pigtail

So, after replacing the fuel pump assembly, new set of wires and fixed the vacuum line, she ran like a bat out of hell. So, I had a buyer lined up to pick up Dec 27th. I went on vacation last week out of the country, and on the 4th day, receive a call from our 23 year old son. He had broken into the garage, stole the syclone for a joy ride and wrecked it. If anyone knows these trucks, the cladding is unobtanium. Two steps forward, thirty steps back :(

93 ragtop 12-19-2017 08:46 AM

Your son stole the truck or the new buyer? Either way, I am really sorry to hear that.

robertmee 12-19-2017 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by 93 ragtop (Post 3371064)
Your son stole the truck or the new buyer? Either way, I am really sorry to hear that.

Son, stole the truck. Buyer will in all likelihood back out. Can't say that I blame them.

HeyYou 12-19-2017 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by robertmee (Post 3371144)
Son, stole the truck. Buyer will in all likelihood back out. Can't say that I blame them.

Either that, or offer you significantly less for it...... Is insurance going to cover any of it? The Typhoon/Cyclones are becoming VERY hard to find.......

robertmee 12-20-2017 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by HeyYou (Post 3371214)
Either that, or offer you significantly less for it...... Is insurance going to cover any of it? The Typhoon/Cyclones are becoming VERY hard to find.......

Insurance won't cover unless I file a stolen vehicle report. Son doesn't live in our home but in an apartment we rent to him.

93 ragtop 12-20-2017 06:45 AM

Robert, I am sorry to hear that. Most people have no idea how dangerous a 10 sec. vehicle is on the street. And before they know it, their in trouble. Hopefully there were no injuries, and hopefully it works out in the end for you.

onemore94dak 12-20-2017 01:27 PM

Sorry to hear about the problem Robertmee. I hope the kid is OK.

robertmee 12-21-2017 10:21 AM

Kid is fine....although I'd love to beat his a$$