DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   1st Gen Dakota Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-dakota-tech-66/)
-   -   Oxygen Sensor (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-dakota-tech/410209-oxygen-sensor.html)

bronze 12-31-2017 06:51 PM

Oxygen Sensor

Anyone know where the O2 sensor is located on a '93 Dodge Dakota, 5.2L. My gas mileage has tailed off over the last year. I've done lots of maintenance work the past several months that I would have expected to make a positive impact but mileage is still down. Wondering if my O2 sensor might need cleaning or replacing. Not that I will because I know they're a pain to remove but I'm thinking about it anyway. Might depend on how accessible it is.

RalphP 12-31-2017 07:38 PM

It's on the Y pipe; should be right before the Y on the passenger side, but may be right after.

Added: For a visual go to someplace like RockAuto, look up the Y pipe for a 94, and see where the bung is. Can't look up the 93; it's NLA it appears due to being a larger size than later Y pipes.

Cable goes up to the firewall (where the plug it plugs into drapes out of the wiring harness).

Pro tip: Heat the exhaust up, then cut the wires and use an BFH, an impact deep throat socket, and a breakover bar on the O2 sensor. And don't clean it, replace it. Especially if it's the original one.

Then use the old wires (tied to the plug on the new O2 sensor) to pull the wires up to the plug in the wiring harness.

I'll add that you should stick to a OEM (Mopar) or NTK O2 sensor; there can be problems with some of the replacements.

RwP

bronze 12-31-2017 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by RalphP (Post 3372701)
It's on the Y pipe; should be right before the Y on the passenger side, but may be right after.

Added: For a visual go to someplace like RockAuto, look up the Y pipe for a 94, and see where the bung is. Can't look up the 93; it's NLA it appears due to being a larger size than later Y pipes.

Cable goes up to the firewall (where the plug it plugs into drapes out of the wiring harness).

Pro tip: Heat the exhaust up, then cut the wires and use an BFH, an impact deep throat socket, and a breakover bar on the O2 sensor. And don't clean it, replace it. Especially if it's the original one.

Then use the old wires (tied to the plug on the new O2 sensor) to pull the wires up to the plug in the wiring harness.

I'll add that you should stick to a OEM (Mopar) or NTK O2 sensor; there can be problems with some of the replacements.

RwP

Good tips and advice Ralph. Thanks. Yes, I will stay with Mopar for sure. I see my Advanced Auto carries Bosch which has always been a good brand but I'd still prefer Mopar. And you're right, replacing would be better than cleaning. All the crap you go thru to get to it and get it off may as well replace it and I'll never have to worry about it again.

bronze 01-01-2018 08:47 AM

I believe NGK (NTK) is the OEM for Mopar? No?

HeyYou 01-01-2018 09:31 AM

NTK or Denso seem to work fine, Bosch.... not so much. :)

bronze 01-05-2018 09:18 PM

My local Advanced Auto Parts sells the NTK. They will also loan me the tool to get the old one off so I don't have to buy one. I have a good amount of tools but nothing like what I'll need for this once or twice in a lifetime job.

I've been laying low waiting for this cold crap to move on out. Not into working on autos while freezing my azz off. Warmer on Monday so I'll crawl under then and have a look-see.

onemore94dak 01-05-2018 09:28 PM

I believe a 3/4 end wrench works or whatever the metric equivalent is.

HeyYou 01-06-2018 10:37 AM

I used a 20" pipe wrench, and a big hammer to get it to let loose. :D

Josephrking 01-09-2018 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by HeyYou (Post 3372746)
NTK or Denso seem to work fine, Bosch.... not so much. :)

Good to know. I’m gonna be changing mine this weekend on a 93.

Josephrking 01-09-2018 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by bronze (Post 3373452)
My local Advanced Auto Parts sells the NTK. They will also loan me the tool to get the old one off so I don't have to buy one. I have a good amount of tools but nothing like what I'll need for this once or twice in a lifetime job.

I've been laying low waiting for this cold crap to move on out. Not into working on autos while freezing my azz off. Warmer on Monday so I'll crawl under then and have a look-see.

Changed my spark plugs last week when it was -15 outside hahahah.I would take one plug out replace it then head inside for 10 min or so then keep repeating lol.