1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Harlland sharp roller rock choice?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 06:27 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Toby Warford
Whatever floats the boat. But I promise, its a waste of money..

Well.......... not really.

We have 2 sources of information.
1. The company that designed, engineered, and manufactured the rockers, says to soak in oil before installing.

2. Toby says " And no, you dont need to soak them in anything for any amount of time before installing. That's a wife's tell to waste money."

As with many things on the internet, Consider the source of the information, as well as their qualifications.

But back to Dakotakid17 orig. question. "Hey guys I'm going to buy a set HS roller rockers and was wondering what kit to get there are 3 the 3/16 stud the 3/8 sttud and the pedistal mount one what are the advantages and disadvantages of these? I got a 94 318 5 speed"

I would contact harland sharp and tell them you are wanting a direct bolt on rocker and get them to give you the correct part number.
Shop around, I have seen them for $325.00 shipped on ebay. (new)
If it was my truck, I would consider new springs and seals,..... The orig. springs are marginal at best even when new, and 25 year old springs and seals get weak....
Also, you didnt say if you wanted 1.6 or 1.7 ratio.
The factory ratio is 1.6 so a 1.7 will give a little more lift.... So some performance gain will come from that.
IMO the advantage in a stock motor from rollers alone are not worth the money, go for the 1.7 ratio along with the rollers.
Again, this is just my opinion....

Old 04-16-2018, 12:50 PM
Azboyinmi
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

See I agree whole heartedly with using 1.7 ratio rockers. It's a safe way to gain a bit more hp and torque. Plus it's easy to do, you don't have to dis assemble the entire engine just to swap a cam and get 20hp. A rocker swap should only take a couple of hours with just a few tools.

Old 04-16-2018, 06:54 PM
Toby Warford
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the oil soak is needed explain to me why I haven't had any issues and there's at least on other documentation where someone else didn't pretreat the rockers and didn't have any issues either. Also explain to me why my set straight from the manufacturer didn't state anything, let a lone have any instructions.

Ill be waiting.

Old 04-16-2018, 07:44 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

If the oil soak is needed explain to me why I haven't had any issues and there's at least on other documentation where someone else didn't pretreat the rockers and didn't have any issues either. Also explain to me why my set straight from the manufacturer didn't state anything, let a lone have any instructions.

Ill be waiting.
Because you wuz lucky.

You presoak to make sure that the bearings are all prelubed so the rollers will, well, roll.

It may not be necessary; but neither is fixing your brakes, you can always find cheap stuff to hit instead.

RwP

Old 04-16-2018, 07:46 PM
Toby Warford
Banned

Originally Posted by RalphP
Because you wuz lucky.

You presoak to make sure that the bearings are all prelubed so the rollers will, well, roll.

It may not be necessary; but neither is fixing your brakes, you can always find cheap stuff to hit instead.

RwP
comepletely different. Not fixing your brakes has consequences, not penetreating the rockers has had 0 consequences for me and at least one other person.

Old 04-16-2018, 11:27 PM
RalphP
Champion

comepletely different. Not fixing your brakes has consequences, not penetreating the rockers has had 0 consequences for me and at least one other person.
Funny part is, Harland Sharp themselves say to soak them:

http://www.harlandsharp.com/tech_tips.html

If you didn't get instructions with your rockers, either a) they were used, or b) they were not genuine Harland Sharps. (Take your pick).

If a), they may have been in good enough shape already.

But sure, be obnoxious about how what happened to you is 100,000% the way the world operates.

Best advise is to soak them.

Didn't have problems? You wuz lucky.

RwP

Old 04-16-2018, 11:58 PM
Toby Warford
Banned

Originally Posted by RalphP
Funny part is, Harland Sharp themselves say to soak them:

http://www.harlandsharp.com/tech_tips.html

If you didn't get instructions with your rockers, either a) they were used, or b) they were not genuine Harland Sharps. (Take your pick).

If a), they may have been in good enough shape already.

But sure, be obnoxious about how what happened to you is 100,000% the way the world operates.

Best advise is to soak them.

Didn't have problems? You wuz lucky.

RwP
never assume unless you know 100%. My rockers came brand new from Harland Sharp direct. You know a lot about technical aspects of these trucks, but you are 100% WRONG here. Also, 2 people not soaking them and having 0 issues isn't luck. I have a lot of respect for you when it comes to what you know off the top of your head, but sometimes its like holy ****, don't tell me what I know for fact first hand.

Last edited by Toby Warford; 04-17-2018 at 12:14 AM.
Old 04-17-2018, 12:26 AM
Azboyinmi
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If what you're saying is what you consider fact then I would never let you come anywhere close to my truck with anything remotely resembling a tool. It is luck. Just because you put yours on and your buddy put his on and neither of you had any problems. I'm guessing you probably think you don't have to soak tranny clutches in atf before installing them during an over haul? And Im pretty sure it's ok to break in a new motor with a flat tappet cam without break in oil or a zddp additive? No. It's not. When you talk to the manufacturer and they tell you to soak your parts in oil first, any self respecting mechanic would follow that advice especially when it's such a crucial part of an engine. No thanks bro, hs says soak them, they're getting soaked. It's equivalent to building a motor without assembly lube and then starting it without ever priming the oil pump. You know what friction causes right? Heat. What happens when to parts creating friction between them and rapidly over heat? They seize. And if you're lucky that's all that happens. Be real fun if a rocker was to seize and force your valve to stay stuck open, then your piston hits that bends your valve, or breaks it, then maybe it'll crack a piston or even shatter it. How long have you been working on cars man? You ever go to college for it? Get your ase certs? Done this professionally to make a living? I have.
Even the company who makes them tells you to soak them. Did you read the instructions on their website? Or go fishing around on the internet instead? Are you really going to keep saying that what you think you know is fact? Are you really going to take someone's good advice that's backed up by manufacturers instructions and tell us we're wrong? Don't worry, one day something will break and you'll realize that maybe you were wrong. I just hope it happens to you and your own vehicle and not someone else's vehicle that they trusted you to work on. One word for you man. Troll
Dakota kid, soak those rockers man. Follow the manufacturers instructions. There's nothing wrong about following instructions

Last edited by Azboyinmi; 04-17-2018 at 12:39 AM. Reason: Adding more
Old 04-17-2018, 01:05 AM
RalphP
Champion

never assume unless you know 100%. My rockers came brand new from Harland Sharp direct. You know a lot about technical aspects of these trucks, but you are 100% WRONG here. Also, 2 people not soaking them and having 0 issues isn't luck. I have a lot of respect for you when it comes to what you know off the top of your head, but sometimes its like holy ****, don't tell me what I know for fact first hand.
Sorry, I remembered you talking about buying from John Mercedes; thought that was where you had bought yours from. Yah, I see in looking back you said you got them straight from Harland Sharp; my misteak(sic).

And, yes, 2 not soaking and having 0 issues SO FAR is still luck.

*ruminates*

Hot Rod had a "We Fix It!" on a motor that didn't get the roller rockers soaked; it had about 2,500 miles or so on it and the top of the valves were wiped, but it was still running, kind of sort of.

Wish I still had that issue to hand ...

RwP

Old 04-17-2018, 06:30 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Ill be waiting.

I thought I did a pretty good job explaining........

Let me try a different way.

When a child wants to play in the street, And their Mother or Father says, "Do not play in the street. Its dangerous"
The child jumps up and down, screaming, why? I played in the street yesterday!!
The parents reply is, "Because I said so""
Now we KNOW, the parent knows more then the child. The parent knows the child could be abducted, or hit by a car, just to name a few of the dangers.
Sure, the day before the child played in the street and nothing bad happened....
But that does not mean that the parent is wrong, or that it is safe to play in the street.
It just means on that day, nothing bad happend to the child, Its still dangerous.

Back to rockers,
Harland sharp (the Designer, Engineer, and Manufacture) says to soak rockers in motor oil.
Just do it!! They KNOW more!

To answer the second part of your question
Anymore, lots of manufactures are shipping without instructions.
You are expected to go online and download them.
They will tell you, in a global market, with all the different languages, it works better.....
IMO, Its so they save a few pennies.
Somewhat recently, I purchased a new cell phone, and a security camera system for my home. Neither came with a owners manual. Was directed to the manufactures web page to download.
This practice is becoming more common......

Hope this helps to answer your question!!

Quick Reply: Harlland sharp roller rock choice?