1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Harlland sharp roller rock choice?

Old 04-17-2018, 05:57 PM
Toby Warford
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here ya go! Straight from the source! The man who worked with Harland Sharp to get these made to begin with. Now, go **** off.

Old 04-17-2018, 07:55 PM
ragged89
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=Toby Warford;3388373]

Is this the method you followed? While he says he doesn't soak them, he certainly is making an effort to get oil in them by means of the starter vs driving down the road with bone-dry rockers. Personally, I'd soak 'em, its easy, you get oil in them whilst they're not under a load, and hey, it won't hurt a thing.

Its well understood that the greatest wear on an engine occurs at startup, when lubricant has drained from the top of the motor. To minimize the wear, engineers developed multi-vicosity oils that pump up quickly and don't thin out too much once warm. Installing a new, completely dry part in the valve train, and not taking care to pre-lube it, may not cause an immediate disaster, but it does expose your engine to needless wear. The bother of soaking the parts in oil before-hand seems pretty minor compared to wondering if a new, dry roller scraped along the cam lobe on that first start.

Last edited by ragged89; 04-17-2018 at 07:58 PM.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:00 PM
Toby Warford
Banned

[QUOTE=ragged89;3388392]
Originally Posted by Toby Warford

Is this the method you followed? While he says he doesn't soak them, he certainly is making an effort to get oil in them by means of the starter vs driving down the road with bone-dry rockers. Personally, I'd soak 'em, its easy, you get oil in them whilst they're not under a load, and hey, it won't hurt a thing.

Its well understood that the greatest wear on an engine occurs at startup, when lubricant has drained from the top of the motor. To minimize the wear, engineers developed multi-vicosity oils that pump up quickly and don't thin out too much once warm. Installing a new, completely dry part in the valve train, and not taking care to pre-lube it, may not cause an immediate disaster, but it does expose your engine to needless wear. The bother of soaking the parts in oil before-hand seems pretty minor compared to wondering if a new, dry roller scraped along the cam lobe on that first start.
yes, we discussed it on the phone before I placed my order. Guy likes to talk ill tell you that. My 1 point and only point, is presoaking isn't 100% needed. Never said it's hurt anything. And if the man himself doesn't do it, I don't see the point of wasting money is all I was getting at.

but no, people think they know more then they do And come off half cocked. Oh well, makes good reading.

Old 04-17-2018, 08:13 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,170 Likes on 2,923 Posts

[QUOTE=Toby Warford;3388394]
Originally Posted by ragged89
yes, we discussed it on the phone before I placed my order. Guy likes to talk ill tell you that. My 1 point and only point, is presoaking isn't 100% needed. Never said it's hurt anything. And if the man himself doesn't do it, I don't see the point of wasting money is all I was getting at.

but no, people think they know more then they do And come off half cocked. Oh well, makes good reading.
And others just have a bad attitude.

Soaking rockers is not a waste of time, or money. It's called doing it right. John there can install his rockers however he feels like. Sure, he helped design them, but, the company that produces them recommends soaking them. 5 bucks for a quart of oil is a hell of a lot cheaper than replacing the rockers, and whatever else they happen to take with them when they go.

is it 100% absolutely necessary? Maybe not, is it the right way of doing it? Yes. It is.

Old 04-18-2018, 06:52 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Back in 2010, we had a member (Crazy4x4rt) who, btw was a moderator. Anyways, he installed a set of the harland sharp rockers on his truck. See here. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...nce-parts.html
From his post I have used copy and paste for the following quote. "First the Rockers don't come with any instructions. There is only a warranty paper. The warranty paper says you must soak the rockers overnight in a brake in oil in with a high Zinc content."

Now, before I ask my next question, let me say, I am quite naive, especially concerning Mopar history and names.....

But, who is John Mercedes? And more specifically, what is the story behind John helping to design the harland sharp roller rockers?

I have searched and can not find anything.
Would like to read the story or is this another internet myth?

Old 04-18-2018, 06:59 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker

Wanted to post, according to harland sharp websit, the correct part no. for 5.2-5.9 magnum 1.7 rockers is s7307.
They can be purchased from Jegs for $327.99 shipped!! Here is the link. http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...rsistYmm=false

Old 04-18-2018, 12:56 PM
Toby Warford
Banned

+1 813-503-8069 how about you call him? That's his cell phone number. Hed be happy to answer any questions for you.

http://www.southeastrt.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=186_187_196 _647&products_id=9357&zenid=iv4ss2r4v78pisbfnnipgd mub0

here a short read

Last edited by Toby Warford; 04-18-2018 at 01:07 PM.
Old 04-18-2018, 02:41 PM
ragged89
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 93 ragtop
Back in 2010, we had a member (Crazy4x4rt) who, btw was a moderator. Anyways, he installed a set of the harland sharp rockers on his truck. See here. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...nce-parts.html
From his post I have used copy and paste for the following quote. "First the Rockers don't come with any instructions. There is only a warranty paper. The warranty paper says you must soak the rockers overnight in a brake in oil in with a high Zinc content."

Now, before I ask my next question, let me say, I am quite naive, especially concerning Mopar history and names.....

But, who is John Mercedes? And more specifically, what is the story behind John helping to design the harland sharp roller rockers?

I have searched and can not find anything.
Would like to read the story or is this another internet myth?
John Mercedes definitely seems to leave an impression on his customers, lol. I haven't spoken to him and wouldn't want to pre-judge, but you can read some other impressions from forum members here:

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...man-s-cam.html

Old 04-18-2018, 03:18 PM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker

Thanks for the link. That is the only thing I could find as well.....
When looking at Harland Sharp web site, They have a history section. Starts in the 50's with Harland Sharp, they go through each decade, showing progress of the company, show his nephew taking over in the 80's etc.
But no mention of outside help designing rockers that I could find.
http://www.harlandsharp.com/About%20Us.html
The only reference to a John Mercedes or southeastern performance that I could find was in the testimonials.
http://www.harlandsharp.com/Testimonial.html
Using copy and paste, this is it.
After distributing many Harland Sharp products over the years, I have been able to observe the Quality of product and Dedication to Customer Service very closely. Their professionalism and Support to the customer is " Outstanding". I would highly recommend Harland Sharp Products to anyone serious about reaching
their performance objectives.

www.southeastperformance.com

John Mercedes

Again, not saying its not true, but would be nice to see it from a 3rd party or Harland Sharp themselves.

Last edited by 93 ragtop; 04-19-2018 at 05:00 AM.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:36 PM
Azboyinmi
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh wait didn't I tell you guys the magnum engine was designed by me? Yup all my idea I'm the man. I just let Mopar sell my motor in their vehicles. Don't bother looking for proof just take me at my word. Mopar kept it all hush hush anyway but im telling you I designed it.
see... Not too hard to make up a story. Personally I go off what hs says, they say soak for a reason.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Harlland sharp roller rock choice?