DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   1st Gen Dakota Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-dakota-tech-66/)
-   -   AC/Heater not working (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-dakota-tech/414007-ac-heater-not-working.html)

Unclebuck916 04-26-2018 07:51 PM

I must have a short in the interior lights circuit or something as well because that fuse just popped when i turned on my dome light. Im guessing that is a completely seperate issue from the ac/heater issue. Im gonna swap out that ignition switch tomorrow and ill let you guys know if that solves the problem. Thanks again for all the input. Much appreciated.

onemore94dak 04-26-2018 09:37 PM

I'm not an electrical guy but I read the thread and I thought that maybe there was a short caused while changing the switch without disconnecting the battery and now something is burned out. ??? IDK if that is even possible as I have never changed the ignition switch.

Unclebuck916 04-29-2018 05:25 PM

so i swapped out the ignition switch and put the old one back in and still no power to those three fuses. i have checked multiple times in the dash to see if i see any wires unplugged or anything and i just dont see anything obviously out of place. there are a few female connectors that dont appear to have anything that plugs into them but i remember seeing those like that before ever having any work done on it. any ideas on what to try next? thanks in advance.

RalphP 04-29-2018 06:09 PM

Pull the fuses and check the feed side, see if there's 12V there at all.

Follow the wiring back to the ignition switch, see where 12V disappears.

Make sure there's 12V out of the ignition switch when it's turned ON.

Past that, you may need an old priest, a young priest, and a chicken ...

RwP

Unclebuck916 05-10-2018 02:54 AM

***UPDATE W/ FIX***

So after i had decided i spent enough time trying to figure it out i took it into the shop and I will explain the problem and the fix as best as i could as there was a slight language barrier. but what i got from what he said was that someone had previously bypassed some relay or fusible link maybe (couldnt understand what he was saying on this part im just assuming he meant relay or fuse) probably when it went bad and instead of replacing it they just connected the wires without it. and apparently they didnt do a good enough job as thats where the short was. they had tucked the wires back into the harness with the rest after taping them up so i couldnt tell that anyone had done anything. so the fix was either for me to go and get him a wiring diagram so he could make sure he ran it as it came factory with the proper relay/fuse. the other option he gave me was to run a hot wire to my blower motor(?) with the only downside being i just have to make sure i turn it off when i turn the car off obviously but its kinda hard not to, its rather loud. i went with the second option as he only charged me $30 for the repair on top of the original $60 for the electrical diagnosis which i had already agreed to. and for another $30 he adjusted my linkage so my car starts in park again. so finally after a month or so my truck is back to almost exactly how it was before this whole craigslist from hell mechanic ordeal began. i wanted to thank everyone who helped lead me in the right direction. i told him everything i had gathered from you guys and he said it definitely sped up his diagnosis as i had it narrowed down pretty well for him.

onemore94dak 05-10-2018 09:11 AM

It is always satisfying to help but more so when we find out the results of the efforts. Thanks.