1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

94 Dash & Interior Electrical Gremlins?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 11:12 PM
93XLT&Splash
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 94 Dash & Interior Electrical Gremlins?

Hello,
I just bought my neighbor's 171K mile '94 Dakota Sport 3.9L 5MT 2WD Club Cab. It was a New Mexico truck until approx. 2010/11? and is MY first Dodge product.
I've spent a fair amount reviving this truck over the last two years. Just replaced Fuel Pump w/ a salvage unit to revive the truck. Also added new Cap/Rotor/Coil & Plug Wires- runs great now....But....I still have a few electrical issues in the cab.
I've replaced the main Headlight switch and Turn signal switches last year. NO fuses are blown.
I just replaced the brake light switch. Dash lights and heater controls/AC controls & light/ radio lights work. AC works well. The radio once 'ghosted' on last year, but doesn't work. Cigarette lighter/power port works fine.
The interior dome light does NOT light when you open the driver's door. It does when you open the passenger door or turn the headlight switch to the left to leave the interior light on. Turn signal indicators sometimes work, sometimes do not although the turn signals themselves still work and I can hear the 'blinker' relay working.
I believe the door issue could just be the contact switch in the jamb....
IS there a trouble spot in the dash or guage cluster, or radio or heater controls that could explain or I should check in reference to the issues I have described? I am not familiar with this or Dodge beyond the help I have given over the past 2 years before purchasing it this past weekend. It is running great (engine wise) and I'd like to make it better as it is my DD through mid June.

Thanks for your help!
Mike in the Poconos

Old 05-01-2018, 11:32 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

I'd hunt up a copy of the factory service manual (worst case, Bishko who printed for Mopar prints them; the CD/DVD version is on RockAuto for about $23 as I type this) and see what's in common on those.

But.

I'd bet the door jamb switch is your problem on the overhead; they're prone enough to failure.

The intermittent turn signal indicators could be the multi function switch failing on that part, or it could be the wiring to the cluster, or even bad contacts at the bulbs themselves with a vehicle that old.

Enjoy that nice truck! I like my 1988 2WD V6 3-speed auto LWB truck; it's a nice working man's truck.

(I'd like it better if I wasn't stuck working late and not able to finish reassembly after the water pump failed ... the water pump replacement, that is.)

RwP

Quick Reply: 94 Dash & Interior Electrical Gremlins?