1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

‘92 Dakota 5.2 Oil light/pressure

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 08:45 AM
jmp227
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ‘92 Dakota 5.2 Oil light/pressure

My 92 Dakota 4 x 4 with a 5.2 engine has been flickering the oil light. I had my local mechanic check it out and he said the oil pressure at idle was 7 pounds. Side note: the previous owner had been running 0w oil through the truck, instead of the recommended 10w oil. At a stoplight, with the truck in drive, the idle drops and the oil light comes on solid. Normally I can throw it up in neutral and the oil light goes off, or I can rev it a little in drive to keep the idle up and the light goes off. I’ve already changed the oil, putting the recommended 10w oil in, replaced the idle air sensor on the side of the throttle body, new plugs, wires, cap, and had the throttle body cleaned. Still having the same issues. Any ideas or help would be appreciated!

Old 05-03-2018, 09:11 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Check the connector to the oil pressure sensor, also replace the oil pressure sensor.

For peace of mind, while changing, put a mechanical gauge on to see what the oil pressure really IS. They can be bought for not that much; with a T in there, you can even run a real mechanical gauge (say under the hood) and the in dash gauge.

RwP

Old 05-03-2018, 09:15 AM
jmp227

Could the oil pressure sensor possibly affect the way it idles?

Old 05-03-2018, 09:18 AM
jmp227

I spoke with the previous owner and he informed me that the truck had been through a deep mud hole, and that’s why there was so much mud under the hood and even up into the throttlebody, prior to me having it cleaned.
I’m wondering if that mud hole incident could have shorted something out electrical under the hood as well.

Old 05-03-2018, 09:55 AM
Azboyinmi
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

More than likely youll have a short somewhere. The harnesses in these trucks are notoriously bad when it comes down to staying dry. I've had to completely rebuild my harnesses. So if you know he took it through a mud hole I'd start chasing wires. Who goes mudding with a truck filled with 0w oil anyway? That's asking for trouble. I had a 02 Dak 3.9 that had serious oiling issues. My fix was going to be to replace the oil pump, but I grabbed a bottle of motor medic flush ran that through, then drained the oil and flush, refilled with marvel oil and dollar store conventional, drove it 100miles, then drained that, replaced the filter, filled up with royal purple and Lucas synthetic stabilizer and never had another issue

Quick Reply: ‘92 Dakota 5.2 Oil light/pressure