1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

CV Joint or axle bearings or both?!?!

Old 05-29-2018, 04:56 PM
Willy_B
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SRAC - My rubbing/scrapping is on the very top outer corner of the caliper. The scratch/gouge is about 1/16"+ deep ~1/4" wide and the entire length of the caliper. I can see the welds on the inner rim that are hitting the caliper. There is very little evidence of Tow In on the passengers side, most likely due to the bad Idler arm, but the wear on the tire is very slight. Brake pad wear is even (driver and passenger) with plenty of meat, but I did notice some small cracking on them (driver and passenger). The control arms seem to be okay with the exception of ugly bushings.

Old 05-30-2018, 12:47 AM
Murphy.2620
Default 93 Dakota caliper rub

The issue I am having with my truck is I was doing a routine brake pad change and when I put the new pads on the bolt that is on the caliper from the brake line is now rubbing the inside of my wheel. I’ve had these wheels on my truck for a few years they’re off A 99 or 2000 Dakota I’m not sure what to make of this it is doing it on the driver and passenger side.

Old 06-06-2018, 07:47 PM
SRAC76
Rookie
Smile Update

Update!
So, I replaced wheel bearings, rotor, and pads. No more scrapping and any issues. TY for all that help and feedback.

Old 06-15-2018, 09:34 PM
SRAC76
Rookie

Originally Posted by Murphy.2620
The issue I am having with my truck is I was doing a routine brake pad change and when I put the new pads on the bolt that is on the caliper from the brake line is now rubbing the inside of my wheel. I’ve had these wheels on my truck for a few years they’re off A 99 or 2000 Dakota I’m not sure what to make of this it is doing it on the driver and passenger side.
It might be the wheel bearings going bad that is what happened to mine but be sure that you check the bolts for the caliper and make sure your ball joints are solid as well just in case. The position of the calipers on these trucks seems to be very close to the inside of the rims so any slack in the bearings can cause it to rub.
Oh also I've found useful is go to the simple solutions to the problem to the complex. IE bolts on caliper might be not seated right ECT
I hope this is helpful!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CV Joint or axle bearings or both?!?!