1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Any rough idea what the low/high limits on the oil gauge correspond to?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 01:39 PM
tbugden
All Star
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Any rough idea what the low/high limits on the oil gauge correspond to?

My oil pressure gauge seemed to read differently every time I got in the truck, but usually the needle would sit a bit below the middle or a bit above at cruising speed. That was with the V6. I haven't driven the V8 enough to know its behavior, but today I noticed that it started reading super high. Just about at the top of the "bracket"...not at H, mind you, just at the top of the range at cruising speed. At idle it would drop back down to slightly above middle. Now I only have a few minutes of driving noticing this, but before today it was not acting like this.

I would just like to know what the upper limit is on the gauge so I can get an idea of whether my oil pressure is really too high.

One thing to note is that my plenum gasket is really really, blown.

I'll have a video up soon. edit: and ya I know I need to get a mechanical gauge. It's on my list.

Last edited by tbugden; 06-28-2018 at 02:56 PM.
Old 06-28-2018, 01:58 PM
tbugden
All Star

Revving in neutral up to about 3200 RPM, then dropping back to 1500, then to idle. It gets just about to the line when driving.

Then this one while driving...Please forgive the terribleness of this video...I recommend not watching it. lol Note I am not at 3000 RPM here, probably 1500 or so after I shift into third.

Old 06-28-2018, 03:10 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 131 Likes on 123 Posts

See if this helps http://www.wellsve.com/showall_ds_oil.php They give an ohm rating with PSI next to it not sure how you'd get the ohms while driving unless you remove the hood and place a volunteer on the air cleaner The Standard motor PS233 is down the page a bit

Old 06-28-2018, 03:39 PM
tbugden
All Star

Awesome! Great link, thanks. So I guess it's supposed to read from 0 to 80 PSI, only question is: is the gauge actually linear as it should be (probably not)? If so then I'm seeing pressure max about 65-70 PSI under load and 45-50 at idle which is high...but not quite troublesome I don't think yet. But to be sure, time to break out the ohmmeter!

Old 06-28-2018, 03:44 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Or put a mechanical gauge on it, and see what that has to say.

Old 06-29-2018, 05:03 PM
tbugden
All Star

Guys... I had the oil freaking overfilled. I thought I was losing a buttload of oil so I added almost a quart and checked and it looked good. But I was checking on not quite level ground (kinda rare around here lol). I didn't notice the high pressure until a while after I topped it off so I thought it was unrelated. I won't do that again. Drained about half a quart and oil pressure is back to normal.

Goes to show you (me) that I always have to check the simplest things first. Always. I've been reminded of that far too many times of late...

Old 06-29-2018, 06:08 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Heh. You want to get a good boggle going ... check it on level ground, and mark where it's at (I'd use a cell phone picture, or make a teensy notch with a file.)

Park where you normally park, and check it again after it cools off. Note how far off it is.

RwP

Quick Reply: Any rough idea what the low/high limits on the oil gauge correspond to?