1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Free engine mod

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 09:37 AM
Azboyinmi
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Free engine mod

So after some work on the truck and a very talented friend helping we figured out that the oil in the exhaust and surging idle is most likely due to the intake belly pan gasket being toast. So when I'm done with my backup Intake I'm hoping it will fix the problems of oil in the exhaust and surging.

What I need is advice on modding the kegger manifold. Yes I know I can go get an m1 etc etc but that costs money I don't have.
Has anyone done the mods on one? Cutting down the runners, cutting out the center divider etc
I've seen the Dyno charts for these mods if done right, +10 hp, -5tq but much smoother power and torque curves. Bottom end torque wasn't affected is was more at the drop off point. The drop off point wasn't as steep.
Just looking for some input here as it's a free mod, except for my labor, I will also be Port matching to the heads and gasket just for a little extra flow and smoother air flow. Just want to eliminate sharp edges and lower overall air turbulence

Old 07-30-2018, 09:49 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Old 07-31-2018, 08:01 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

On my full sized truck, I removed the center divider, and shortened the runners about an inch and a half. I really don't know how much difference it made..... as the plenum on my original manifold was seriously blown out. Theoretically, it moves the power band up a couple hundred RPM, and the shorter runners allow the truck to breath a bit better. That said, the heads are really the biggest restriction.

Quick Reply: Free engine mod