1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Accidentally cut off the end of the upper radiator hose

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 01:48 PM
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accidentally cut off the end of the upper radiator hose

I was changing my lower radiator hose and I couldn't undo the spring clamp (because of my arthritis and lack of maneuvering space), so I asked my brother to do it. I go outside and he is mistakenly undoing the spring clamp for the upper radiator hose.

I tried to move the spring clamp back into position but noticed the end of the hose, about 1/2" in width, had separated. So what I intend to do now is remove the spring clamp, try to pull the hose slightly forward then reclamp it. My question is how much slack, so to speak, will I have? Really hoping I can accomplish this and won't need to replace the upper radiator hose.

I was able to successfully change the lower radiator hose without incident, by the way. That hose I ended up having to cut about 5 inches off to fit in place so I'm wondering if there is any sort of extension kit or something where if the upper radiator hose is too short I can attach the excess lower radiator hose to that.

Last edited by 93422; 08-07-2018 at 01:52 PM.
Old 08-07-2018, 02:57 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

I think you would be better off just getting a new hose. They are pretty cheap.

Old 08-07-2018, 09:34 PM
tbugden
All Star
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Can't tell you how much stretch you'll have, but as long as the hose doesn't start to pinch at the bends then I'd say you good.

They do make hose connectors but they're not super cheap I don't think...best to just get a new hose. I looked on Autozone, for my '93 V8 there's a hose for a whole $12.50...hardly enough to break the bank.

Quick Reply: Accidentally cut off the end of the upper radiator hose