1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Burn off ??

Old 10-08-2018, 06:35 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 131 Likes on 123 Posts
Default Burn off ??

I probably have this figured out but its remarkable since I have had the truck for several years and this is the first time. About two days ago taking off on a flat, dry road, the tires squealed, The rear tire was spinning. Yesterday on a hill wet road same thing.
I haven't done anything to the motor and the tires have right around the amount of miles for the first rotation to be due. I'm thinking something is on the tires to make it happen but its been raining for a couple of days so I can't tell. Anyone else have this happen out of nowhere? Tires are Bridgestone all terrain

Old 10-09-2018, 08:28 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Which Bridgestone All-Terrain tires were they?

All the ones I find are at best a "B" rating for wet traction; an "A" is an old rating, but is the best of the "ABC " ratings.

RwP

Old 10-09-2018, 08:35 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker

My bad they are BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A
Its dry today I see nothing on the tires. I figure it must be the road surface or something on the road surface.

Old 10-10-2018, 06:39 AM
RalphP
Champion

So not even rated for wet traction. Could just be the tires, too. Although they DO get a 8.8 on TireRack for wet traction.

RwP

Old 10-10-2018, 11:08 PM
Azboyinmi
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd think it was something a bit more serious than just tires. Have you pulled the axles out of your rear end And check your axle bearings. If one of them is binding up it could cause the same problem that your having. I'd check your spider gears too just in vase

Old 10-11-2018, 02:50 AM
DAHEMIKOTA
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by onemore94dak
I probably have this figured out but its remarkable since I have had the truck for several years and this is the first time. About two days ago taking off on a flat, dry road, the tires squealed, The rear tire was spinning. Yesterday on a hill wet road same thing.
I haven't done anything to the motor and the tires have right around the amount of miles for the first rotation to be due. I'm thinking something is on the tires to make it happen but its been raining for a couple of days so I can't tell. Anyone else have this happen out of nowhere? Tires are Bridgestone all terrain
Check your front brake calipers and make sure they are not binding. I had some not release after stopping and it was like we old guys called "brake torquing" ( standing on the gas with your foot on the brake pedal to spin the rear wheels). This caliper binding sometimes happens after the vehicle has been sitting for a while. You step on the brake and they do not release. The hub will get super hot when this happens because you are driving with the front brakes applied even though you don't have your foot on the brake pedal. Just something to check.

Old 10-11-2018, 10:04 AM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker

OK I'll take it in for tire rotation and spin the wheels before they take them off to see if there is any resistance. All seemed well when I did the rear brakes and cylinders about 2 years ago. The calipers rotors bearings I put on new when I first got it 5 years ago.

Old 10-11-2018, 10:09 AM
RalphP
Champion

How are the rubber hoses up front? Those can fail internally, creating a "pressure valve" that keeps the calipers from relaxing all the way.

RwP

Old 10-11-2018, 10:12 AM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by RalphP
How are the rubber hoses up front? Those can fail internally, creating a "pressure valve" that keeps the calipers from relaxing all the way.

RwP
I put them on new about a year later after seeing one of your posts about that. All of the brake hoses are new since I have owned it.

Old 10-11-2018, 11:01 AM
RalphP
Champion

Ah.

I'd be more apt to blame all-terrain on wet pavement then.

There's a reason why I run "passenger tire" P-series XL rated tires on my Dakota; all-terrains don't have the wet traction a good all-season or summer use tire has.

And I don't but once in a blue moon go off road.

(When I do, it's because "We have a T1 down at the pumping station. Turn left off the dirt road and drive across the pasture ... " )

RwP

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Burn off ??