1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

V8 Swap Questions

Old 10-25-2018, 02:05 PM
Easy_A
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V8 Swap Questions

Like many of you here have done I am interested in replacing the tired, gutless 2.2 in my 88 with a v8. I looked at the FAQ threads and there's a lot of info for 3.9->5.2 but I couldn't find anything for 1st gen 4 banger swaps. I know that the real 1st gens didn't have a V8 option, only the 2.2 or 3.9. So I am wondering what is involved in a V8 swap. I have a few questions but any other info would be helpfull as well.
1. Firstly will my 88 5 speed (nv2500 I think) hold up to the torque of a 318? Based on the torque ratings I've found it seems like a stock 318 would be under the limit, but most swaps I've seen here have used the nv3500 or 4500.
2. Are there any problems with using an older LA 318 vs the magnum? I know where a stock 318 out of a late 70's chrysler car is at for pretty cheap and using an older carbed engine would cut out some of hassle & wiring dealing with fuel injection and computers
3. If I got the chrysler 318 then I would have to get a bellhousing from a 3.9 dak, right?
4. Motor mounts? Will I have to have custom mounts welded up since it came with the 2.2?

Old 10-25-2018, 03:08 PM
chasebh89
Rookie
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1 : no a NV2500 probably wouldn't hold up to the LA V8 for long, even the NV3500 was upgraded to NV3500HD for V8 manuals
2 : LA swap would be your best bet just because you could carbourate it easily and there's less additional wiring to do
3 : if I remember correctly the bell housing stayed the same between the I4, V6, and V8
4 : should be the same with motor mounts

Old 10-25-2018, 04:06 PM
Easy_A

Originally Posted by chasebh89
1 : no a NV2500 probably wouldn't hold up to the LA V8 for long, even the NV3500 was upgraded to NV3500HD for V8 manuals
2 : LA swap would be your best bet just because you could carbourate it easily and there's less additional wiring to do
3 : if I remember correctly the bell housing stayed the same between the I4, V6, and V8
4 : should be the same with motor mounts
Thanks for the info. Do you know if I did the nv35/45 if the size and shifter location are in the same place? Would I have to cut the floor up?

Old 10-25-2018, 04:22 PM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Do a search on this forum for ragged 89 ..... and read his 318 swap.
If I was going with a stock 318 and not building a drag truck, I would use the NV2500 at least till it breaks.
The older LA style motors, used the front mounts. You dont want that!!
IMO you should go with a magnum motor.
Mounts are in the same place as the early dakota v6 .....
The serpentine drive system will just clear the radiator, and then you can use pusher fans like was done on the 89 shelby dakota
You can use a edelbrock 7577 intake, carb of choice and a small block mopar ignition of your choice. (if you dont want to go EFI)
The magnum exhaust manifolds will work with factory exhaust , 92-96 v8 dakota's
HP and torque is much better then the the LA 318
And of course, all of this is assuming you dont need an emission's inspection.

Old 10-27-2018, 03:56 PM
chasebh89
Rookie
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nv25 to Nv35 the shifters should have close enough to the same shifter location but the 45 is a bit longer, not sure how much but I know it's longer.

Old 10-30-2018, 06:34 PM
ZackN920
Record Breaker

Going from a 2.2 to a V8? You WILL need front springs. You may also need another rear end for the truck as well. I think the 4 cylinder trucks got a lighter duty rear axle. Probably the 7.25".

The mounting issues are what killed my swap project. You WILL have to fabricate engine mounts or buy the only available custom mounts(which are ridiculously expensive). I'm not a fabricator and ended up selling my 1988 roller LA318 because I wasn't willing to blow $500+ just on engine mounts. If I ever do this, I'm going 5.9 Magnum. It bolts in with factory style mounts. Will get an aftermarket carb intake and a 4BBL carburetor as I don't want FI either. All ready have an aftermarket distributor that should work.

-I just looked, the only company that made the (super expensive) mounts to bolt a LA series V8 into a Dakota, has since discontinued them.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Old 10-31-2018, 09:05 PM
Easy_A

Originally Posted by ZackN920
Going from a 2.2 to a V8? You WILL need front springs. You may also need another rear end for the truck as well. I think the 4 cylinder trucks got a lighter duty rear axle. Probably the 7.25".

The mounting issues are what killed my swap project. You WILL have to fabricate engine mounts or buy the only available custom mounts(which are ridiculously expensive). I'm not a fabricator and ended up selling my 1988 roller LA318 because I wasn't willing to blow $500+ just on engine mounts. If I ever do this, I'm going 5.9 Magnum. It bolts in with factory style mounts. Will get an aftermarket carb intake and a 4BBL carburetor as I don't want FI either. All ready have an aftermarket distributor that should work.

-I just looked, the only company that made the (super expensive) mounts to bolt a LA series V8 into a Dakota, has since discontinued them.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Just to clarify, do you mean that one needs to fabricate mounts for both an LA318 and Magnum? Or will the factory mounts that come with Magnum bolt into the 88? As for the springs, do you just mean that I need stiffer springs for the increased weight, or are more suspension upgrades a good idea?

Old 10-31-2018, 09:26 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

The Magnum motor mounts will mount to the 1988; however, you'll need to find the frame horns, I believe.

NOT that hard; everything but a I4 will have them!

Stiffer springs if you don't want it to drop; and I'd go through the whole suspension (front AND back!) to match the increased horsepower.

RwP

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: V8 Swap Questions