1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

steering bushing

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 11:01 PM
Ultrawave
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steering bushing

Has any Dakota owners purchased the steering kit from Rock Solid ram steering fix for their Dakota? I was told the 2nd Gen Ram Trucks have the same steering shaft as 1st gen Dakota. Just want to see what others have to say?

Old 10-25-2018, 11:05 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

No, but it looks like a good idea if you don't have a steering column guy like I do.

Do be aware there's OTHER places for play; have you eliminated the other possibilities?

RwP

Old 10-25-2018, 11:49 PM
Ultrawave

Yes, I replaced the intermediate shaft. Now it moves around near the firewall. I was told the bearing/bushing is gone.

​​​​​​​I saw some post about the rock solid ram steering, when I called to inquire about it, was told the 2nd Gen Ram has the same steering as the first gen Dakota. He said the he sold some to dakota oeners, just want to verify if this is true.

Old 10-26-2018, 04:45 PM
Ultrawave

Originally Posted by RalphP
No, but it looks like a good idea if you don't have a steering column guy like I do.

Do be aware there's OTHER places for play; have you eliminated the other possibilities?

RwP
I just replaced the shaft with a borgeson one. The issue is, it move around by the firewall, I was told the bearing/ busing is no longer there. I saw the post for the rock solid ram Steering, inquired about it, was told the 2nd Gen Ram has the same steering as the 1st gen dakota, just wondering if anyone else had the same issue and used the kit to fix

Last edited by Ultrawave; 10-26-2018 at 04:47 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-18-2019, 01:23 PM
Kenny Kutch
Default 2nd gen Ram steering

Just did mine. Straight forward fix. Definitely feel the difference. I used to get a clunk intermittently, usually when stopping and starting, with a good amount of play in general. This cured those problems. You have to be careful not to drive the bushing in too deep with the auto trans otherwise the shifter might move when steering. Recommend a Dremel to cut the retainer from the spring.

Quick Reply: steering bushing