1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Resto update

Old 12-06-2018, 01:00 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

If it helps any, I ALSO have the frame filter AND the pump mounted filter on my 1988.

Regulator is in the throttle body, though, so there's that.

RwP

Old 12-06-2018, 01:13 PM
glenlloyd
Veteran
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by RalphP
If it helps any, I ALSO have the frame filter AND the pump mounted filter on my 1988.

Regulator is in the throttle body, though, so there's that.

RwP
Have been thinking about converting to the earlier pump with external filter, that's one reason for the 'door' in the bed and some new fuel lines without the nasty bends. OTOH the door, unless bolted shut, means someone could steal your pump assembly!!

Have to say when I replaced the brake lines I came back without making all those nasty bends there as well. To answer someone's question about why the bends, I think, based on the brake line bends, that it was to dodge the emergency brake cables, but in reality that was all unnecessary too.

Steve

Old 12-06-2018, 04:20 PM
RalphP
Champion

Well, you CAN add the filter; I'd revert to a separate regulator, though, and put it up closer to the engine (that way, a partially blocked fuel filter won't cause a drop of pressure at the injectors). That WILL call for an older top hat and assembly, alas.

RwP

Old 01-22-2019, 01:12 PM
Azboyinmi
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Time for another update. Passenger side floor and rocker are welded in, drivers driver's side is cut out.
its 5 degrees right now so I'm not in a hurry to get out there and work more

Old 01-22-2019, 03:55 PM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

[QUOTE=Azboyinmi;3426386]
its 5 degrees right now so I'm not in a hurry to get out there and work more

Awe, come on now, Man Up and get out there!!!

All joking aside, this cold sure does take the fun out of it!! Looking good!

Old 01-22-2019, 07:47 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

you say something about gluing your existing headliner back up..... wont happen. the foam on the back of that material has deteriorated. Go to JoAnn Fabrics, they have headliner material, it aint that expensive, Ive done 3 Dakotas now, plus an 87 Monte Carlo for someone else.... gotta do my 92 club cab in the spring. as I remember those trucks take 1-1/2 yd. scrape the remnants of the original off the best you can, spray the glue and with a helper stretch the material out and going from one side to the other, take a wallpaper roller and roll it out, have the helper hold their end up off the headliner board and pull it down as you go. if you let the other end touch as you start the 1st end, it will stick all bunched up and stuff, no good. that headliner adhesive is only very slightly forgiving, once material hits board, it's stuck. once it is all stuck down flip it over and cut 1-1/2-2" past the edge of the board all the way around and wrap this excess around the edges, spray the glue on the backside and pull it/glue that 1-1/2"-2" extra to the backside. you wont see this once its back in the truck. and unless you have the steering column out, its easier to get the headliner in and out the passenger side. if you can remove the passenger seat (only 4 bolts!) it's a little easier yet to get headliner in and out.

Old 01-22-2019, 09:12 PM
RalphP
Champion

I'll add a few grace notes to Volaredon.

1) If you have time and don't mind the smell, shellac the hell out of the board to help seal it and strengthen it.

2) Read this article on Allpar (was for a 84 Charger, but the philosophy works the same): https://www.allpar.com/fix/holler/headliner.html

RwP

Old 01-22-2019, 09:23 PM
Azboyinmi
Veteran

Yeah I'm a ways away from doing the headliner, however I already have material from it. I picked up a super lightweight faux carbon fiber material. It was originally for my buddy's Monte Carlo but we had so much leftover he let me have it. I've already done his headliner using that and 3m super strength adhesive. It turned out really good and looks amazing.
but now that I've got that material I'm gonna go ahead and cover up that ugly fake wood grain on the dash with a high quality beautiful vinyl carbon fiber and give it a more updated look

Ralph....
As for shellac.... I could see why someone would do it, I'm lucky enough I don't need to .My foam is in great shape, yeah it's old but it's surprisingly flexible and not brittle at all.

Volaredon....
I was lucky enough to have the entire interior already ripped out before I took out the headliner

Old 01-22-2019, 09:31 PM
RalphP
Champion

The shellac also gives a better "tooth" for the adhesive. It ALSO serves to help sound proof a bit better.

While the headliner board is out, that's the perfect time to do things like a) run a power drop around and add a dual-USB board right over the rear view mirror where the headliner will cover it; b) add some Dynaliner or Dynamat equivalent (no, I don't use those brands! Just use the brand as an indicator of what to use!) for sound deadening and insulation, and c) soak the plastic parts in Rit Dye More Dye to darken them (midnight navy or black, maybe.)

And you need to scrape off the FOAM, what you're sealing is the pressed board (I think it's actually pressed fiberglass insulation, BICBW) so it keeps it from coming apart on you.

I've got some carbon fiber wrap, but decided to leave the dome mirror black.

RwP

Old 01-22-2019, 09:36 PM
Azboyinmi
Veteran

Not gonna wrap the mirror, it's not that important.
however I stole the mirror from my girlfriend's 04 LeSabre so I will be running a power line for that lovely autodarkening setup
Headliner will have the "foam" removed from it. The foam I referred to was the backing board itself. And yes, it's compressed fiber

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Resto update