1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Changing front rotor

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 05:17 AM
John Hickey
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing front rotor

I have. 94 red Dodge Dakota. I need to replace the front rotors there are 2 different types which do I use and what is the process of it .I think 1 needs to be pressed right?

Old 11-07-2018, 09:44 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

2WD or 4WD? That's the difference.

And no, the 4WD doesn't get pressed; it just slides onto the 4WD hub.

Don't overthink it. Just order the rotor (4WD) or rotor and hub (2WD) that matches your truck. If 2WD, order new bearings and seals while you're at it; be SURE to lube the bearings when you install them!

RwP

Old 11-07-2018, 12:10 PM
John Hickey
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front rotor replacements

I have a 94 Dodge Dakota rwd. How do you change the front rotors. Do I have to have a press

Old 11-07-2018, 12:26 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

You only need to post the question once.

Old 11-07-2018, 01:23 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

No, the hubs come with the rotors for 2WD (or RWD).

You DO want to replace the bearings and seals, plus properly lubricate the bearings.

Suggestion: Buy a copy of the factory service manual. In the meantime, download the 1995 and/or 1996 manuals from here; for THAT, they'll be the same. (Not everything is, but the 1995 should be pretty darn close for most items.)

RwP

Old 11-07-2018, 03:55 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 131 Likes on 123 Posts

When I did mine I replaced the bearings w/o pressing out the raceway. It was fine and perfectly smooth so I just greased it and put in the new bearings tossing the new race. If your raceway is damaged you can probably get it out with a hammer and screwdriver but will need a press to put the new one in.
I never did this before and it was pretty simple. From memory this is how, if you find anything else just handle it there is nothing difficult in the job imo.
You prop your truck frame on jack stands
take off tire.
Remove brake caliper and tie up to top of spring so it is not hanging on the hose.
Remove the cap on the hub (chisel or large screwdriver to get off, 2" PVC coupling works well to put cap back on)
remove the cotter pin you will need needle nose and probably a small hammer.
Unscrew large nut
Pull rotor off.
The bearings are in the back side. I cleaned off all the old grease and put in all new.

Old 11-07-2018, 06:50 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

You can use a hammer and a punch to knock the races out, I don't know if the rotors will come with races or not..... If they do, they are new, and no need to change them. If it DOESN'T come with them, just use and appropriately sized socket, and a hammer to install them. Make sure you get them started straight, and then they drive right in. Worst case, you can rent a bearing and seal driver kit from your local parts store.

Old 11-08-2018, 08:18 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

make sure you get the rotors for your year, RED Dakota. Because ones made for a green Dakota or a blue Dakota won't fit.

Old 11-09-2018, 07:40 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Originally Posted by volaredon
make sure you get the rotors for your year, RED Dakota. Because ones made for a green Dakota or a blue Dakota won't fit.
What if it's been repainted?

Old 11-09-2018, 09:26 AM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 131 Likes on 123 Posts

I was just looking this over again and realized I put on new calipers and new hoses, but more importantly if I did the job the way I describe it means I did not replace the rotors I only changed the bearings when I put on the new calipers. The removal process is still the same. I have a press so if I did replace them I would have pressed the races in myself. Sorry for the confusion.
Edit- This has been bugging me because I am sure I replaced the rotors and calipers. I looked in the 95 FSM in the FAQ section and brakes start page 27 chapter 5. It looks like the bearings ride in the hub and that the hub and rotor can be separated. So that would explain how I replaced the bearings but not the race and still put in new rotors. It does not show how the hub separates for the 2wd I assume it is similar to the 4wd which it does show a picture of the rotor separated from the hub. I know on my other truck the hub unbolts from the rotor from behind.

Last edited by onemore94dak; 11-10-2018 at 08:59 AM.

Quick Reply: Changing front rotor