1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Maiden voyage

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 01:54 AM
glenlloyd
Veteran
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Here's what I had to pick from for parts at the scrap yard, there were more than I thought. Some aren't worth much but many of them have a lot of good parts left on them. I also found an extended cab with fixed back glass, the guy wan'ted $30 for it but I think that can be negotiated down maybe, or for the $30 I can throw some other things in there too. Lot's of gen 2 Daks in there as well but didn't have time to document those. The gold base truck appears to be gone, I looked around extensively and didn't see it anywhere...

That early brown truck had a decent topper but the baby crap brown color of it meant I would have to paint it and I wasn't sure I was up for that! I forgot to ask him what he wanted for it.

I'll be back there next Friday, heading back to NE Iowa for Christmas so I'll hopefully get to pick around some more.

Steve

Old 12-16-2018, 08:39 AM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 131 Likes on 123 Posts

You are very lucky Steve. In my area they enforce obsolescence. Seems like any yard I find with parts for my 1st gen Dak or my 1st gen Ram 50 gets rid of the trucks asap. I'm lucky my truck spent most of its life in Southern CA and then was garaged before I bought it.

Old 12-16-2018, 10:23 AM
Noonbailey501
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glenlloyd the main thing I’m looking for is another box for my 96 club cab the fenders are eat up I’m definitely interested in buying the first Dakota pics box because mine looks more like the 9th pics box or any of the other colors as long is off a club can I can get it painted just little to no rust around the flares

Old 12-16-2018, 05:40 PM
glenlloyd
Veteran

Originally Posted by onemore94dak
You are very lucky Steve. In my area they enforce obsolescence. Seems like any yard I find with parts for my 1st gen Dak or my 1st gen Ram 50 gets rid of the trucks asap. I'm lucky my truck spent most of its life in Southern CA and then was garaged before I bought it.
They also had a Ram50 in there, I didn't post it but I do have a picture. I think it's the same as the Mighty Max? The upull here in Des Moines has had several of those this past summer, one in particular should never have come in it was so nice and clean. The newer upull yards don't leave anything in the yard for more than 30 days, if that. I've seen them completely replace the truck section here locally in less than 2 weeks. You have to get what you want right away before it's gone and replaced by who knows what. Out in the sticks though where I grew up, where this scrap yard is located, they're in no hurry to do much with anything that's out in the fields, at least for now. I did notice that they've acquired their own crusher though so now when they get something in if someone doesn't say something they toss it in the crusher right away. I do feel lucky though because prices are pretty cheap compared to full service JY's. OTOH you have to take anything you want off yourself too.

Originally Posted by Noonbailey501
Glenlloyd the main thing I’m looking for is another box for my 96 club cab the fenders are eat up I’m definitely interested in buying the first Dakota pics box because mine looks more like the 9th pics box or any of the other colors as long is off a club can I can get it painted just little to no rust around the flares
You're not likely to find a good box in there, and that gold truck I posted up first is no longer there, they crushed it and sent it to scrap processing unfortunately. I would have liked to get some things off that truck but it didn't happen. I don't know where you're located but finding a good box will likely mean arranging with someone in Texas or AZ or some southern state to get what you want. People up here to sell rust free (they claim) boxes are a lot more expensive to deal with than I can justify.

I can keep my eyes open but where I've been a good box is really not easily found. If I ever fix the rust problems on my Dak I will remove the black plastic fender flares and leave them off. Around this area they just help the rust along and I don't find them all that appealing honestly.

Steve

Old 12-16-2018, 05:52 PM
glenlloyd
Veteran

I think this is the Ram 50 that was in there, looks like it.

Steve

Old 12-16-2018, 06:48 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 131 Likes on 123 Posts

That looks like it might be a 2nd gen. Its the same as MM all years were both made in Japan by Mitsubishi. If you find a 1st gen and think of it I need the interior dome light cover just above the rear window. The exterior one two if it looks good and isn't eaten up by the sun. If you find a 1st gen with a good uncracked dash pad that is like hens teeth if you want to make some money.

Old 12-16-2018, 09:19 PM
Noonbailey501
Rookie

Yea glenlloyd I’m from a place called Bedford in the heart of Va. and I totally agree with you on about the plastic flares I did see an older Dakota that didn’t have’m on it and looked amazing plus no rust but it was a 8’ bed and I only got a 6.5’ one and Arizona or another dry state that doesn’t get much rain . And a question about the flares are the glued on or screwed to the box and fenders

Old 12-16-2018, 09:40 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Too bad you're that far up; we have several 6.5' beds in my area, Northwest Louisiana.

Have you tried checking car-parts.com and seeing what they turn up, possibly near you?

RwP

Old 12-16-2018, 10:47 PM
Noonbailey501
Rookie

I’m not apposed to pay for shipping if I can get one in really decent shape like no rust around the fenders

Old 12-17-2018, 11:33 AM
glenlloyd
Veteran

Originally Posted by onemore94dak
That looks like it might be a 2nd gen. Its the same as MM all years were both made in Japan by Mitsubishi. If you find a 1st gen and think of it I need the interior dome light cover just above the rear window. The exterior one two if it looks good and isn't eaten up by the sun. If you find a 1st gen with a good uncracked dash pad that is like hens teeth if you want to make some money.
It is gen 2, I haven't seen a gen 1 MM or Ram 50 in a whole bunch of years, in fact that last one I saw I think was a Plymouth Arrow, but as I said it was ages ago. A decade ago when the scrap prices were outrageously high all that old stuff got pulled out of back yards and fields and hauled to the scrap yards, sorry to say most of it's now gone and the country is poorer for it. As salvage yards now start moving cars through on a 45 day rotation it will inevitably lead to fewer and fewer gems hidden in a corn crib or in barns for kids to find and experiment on for fun and learning.

This truck came to my local Upull, and granted the cab exterior was nothing to write home about, but the bed was spotless. The only deficiency was it had a broken brake line, but even that was too much to bother with and so it went to the upull because no one wants to fix anything anymore. The bed was spotless and I tried to buy the whole thing (or at least the bed and the portion of the frame under it, but the upull would only sell it whole and wanted $1000. Needless to say my Ext cab / LB project didn't have $1000 right now in the budget but it was still a lot given they probably paid $150 for it. So the truck went into the yard, the bed got ruined by the loader and all told they maybe sold $50 worth of parts off it. I bought the rubber floor mat, someone bought the tailpipe and the rest just sat. Now 30 days later it's gone and been run through the local shredder at the scrap processing plant.

It doesn't add up, how can doing this sort of thing even remotely be profitable?

Steve

Quick Reply: Maiden voyage