DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   1st Gen Dakota Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-dakota-tech-66/)
-   -   Oil light flutters and blinks (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-dakota-tech/420686-oil-light-flutters-and-blinks.html)

SRAC76 01-05-2019 07:50 PM

Oil light flutters and blinks

I have 1993 Dodge Dakota V8 4x4 Le and the oil light flutters or blinks but never stays on for more then a min or two. Some of the time the light is on when I accelerate it turns off then will turn on when I break. Most of the time it is very random and stops when driving for longer. My oil pressure gauge seems to be functioning and when I check the dipstick that seems to be fine as well. Is this a failing oil pressure sending unit?? or an oil sensor?

Thank you in advance for any advise.

RalphP 01-05-2019 11:07 PM

The oil pressure sending unit, or the connector to it.

Do remember, there's TWO units in the ONE sensor/sending unit - one for the switch, one for the gauge.

If the gauge is fine, I'd bet the connector or the sending unit WWAAAAYYYYY before I'd tear the motor down.

(I have the other problem; my light isn't coming on, but at random, the gauge drops to 0. But I KNOW the connector is farked.)

RwP

Noonbailey501 01-05-2019 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by SRAC76 (Post 3424676)
I have 1993 Dodge Dakota V8 4x4 Le and the oil light flutters or blinks but never stays on for more then a min or two. Some of the time the light is on when I accelerate it turns off then will turn on when I break. Most of the time it is very random and stops when driving for longer. My oil pressure gauge seems to be functioning and when I check the dipstick that seems to be fine as well. Is this a failing oil pressure sending unit?? or an oil sensor?

Thank you in advance for any advise.

SRAC76 I was also having that same problem in mine came to find out it was the sensor and it’s a bit of a pain in the but because it’s at the back of the engine Anyways it’s always easier to replace the cheaper more easily fixable parts than having to drop The front axle to take off the oil pan and change the pump which I did anyways before I knew it was the sensor was bad

SRAC76 02-17-2019 07:01 PM

where in the world is the oil sending sensor!?!?

So I've looked and looked I can not find the oil sensor or oil sending sensor. I have a manual and looked on there as well nothing for either. Frustrating as heck...

RalphP 02-17-2019 07:09 PM

It's at the back of the block, down below and to the passenger side of the distributor.

Feel between the distributor and the EGR valve; that wiring harness goes to the sending unit. It has a clip; pull it away from the connector slightly, then pull it off, remove the sending unit, and install the new one.

Helps if you have a mirror so you can see down there.

RwP

SRAC76 02-18-2019 09:40 PM

Oh thank you! that helps a ton! I knew it was by the distributor but I have no idea which side. :)