1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

At Wit's End With '91

Old 04-11-2019, 09:28 PM
KevinSandidge
Professional

actually, when we hooked up the new ecm, the truck tried to start for just a second and then not at all. On a bright note, o'reilly's did refund my money!

Old 04-11-2019, 10:18 PM
RalphP
Champion

Originally Posted by KevinSandidge View Post
we're not getting a reading at the coil, no fire to coil. we're looking for a 'ballast resistor'. do i even have one of those?
Not in a TBI unit.

Did you ever order the factory service manual? If so, I'd check back to the ASD relay and see if there's a problem between them (since it's usually fed off the ASD).

Also, do be aware you won't see 12V there but for about 2 seconds on key-on until it starts running.

Have you tried bypassing the ASD to see if you then have 12V at the coil?

RwP

Old 04-12-2019, 08:30 AM
HeyYou
Super Moderator

Does the fuel pump prime? Do you see power at the coil when you first turn the key on??

Old 04-12-2019, 09:29 AM
KevinSandidge
Professional

Thanks fellas; sounds like practical next steps.
My mech buddy quit on me and i can't be sure when i'll get him back over again so i gotta put the project on hold yet again. i'll surely let y'all know when we start up again.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: At Wit's End With '91

Featured Sponsors

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: