1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Door got jammed up, fixable?

Old 02-18-2019, 04:58 PM
Dakohta
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door got jammed up, fixable?

Here's a short clip.

The door does close but pops back open when momentum is applied. Such as turning corners

Last edited by Dakohta; 03-02-2019 at 12:24 PM.
Old 02-18-2019, 05:05 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Dude.

Your hinge pin bushings are probably so far past shot, the hinges are possibly damaged!

At the VERY least, replace the hinge pins and bushings!

Kits are horribly expensive ... https://smile.amazon.com/Dorman-HELP...dp/B000C5G58O/ (1 per hinge, 2 per door, 4 per truck, so a max of under $40 delivered.)

RockAuto lists'em for $2.66 a set ... so under $20 delivered for 4 kits.

RwP

Old 02-18-2019, 05:09 PM
Dakohta
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RalphP
Dude.

Your hinge pin bushings are probably so far past shot, the hinges are possibly damaged!

At the VERY least, replace the hinge pins and bushings!

Kits are horribly expensive ... https://smile.amazon.com/Dorman-HELP...dp/B000C5G58O/ (1 per hinge, 2 per door, 4 per truck, so a max of under $40 delivered.)

RockAuto lists'em for $2.66 a set ... so under $20 delivered for 4 kits.

RwP

Thanks for the links. But the door is literally over the fender now. So I can't open it fully .

Old 02-18-2019, 06:02 PM
Noonbailey501
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I’m having the same problem but where the door hinge is, it’s rusted through pretty much someone tried welding on top of the rust which help a while for them but as for me I had to get a whole new door😞 but it’s way cleaner now but the truck is black and the door is white best of luck to you on the hinges dakota. By the way It would be nice if someone retrofitted some sod doors or even half doors like a Jeep does

Old 02-18-2019, 06:31 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by Dakohta
Thanks for the links. But the door is literally over the fender now. So I can't open it fully .
Pull the fender.

Fix the hinge.

Reinstall the fender.

(Pulling the fender, you'll have to also pull the grill and the headlamp surround on that side ... )

It's just time consuming. Takes a bit to align it again; but you'll probably spend more time wasted opening and closing that door like that over the next year, than you will aligning it!

Exception is if it was front ended and pushed back; then you're looking at frame damage (or at least the cab unibody warped); verify THAT'S not the problem.

If it recently started, it's the hinge failing.

It MAY be the door side pulling away from the door; rotsaruck on that.

RwP

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Door got jammed up, fixable?