1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Rear diff slipping

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 11:40 PM
Noonbailey501
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear diff slipping

ok I hope y’all can help me but I know my truck has a posi trac end but it’s one legging it if I do a burn out I’ve looked up parts for it but now I’m trying look up how to Disassemble and rebuild I kinda got the basic from watching chrisfix off of YouTube but nothing for the 9 1/4 rear

Old 02-24-2019, 11:45 PM
tbugden
All Star
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonbailey501
ok I hope y’all can help me but I know my truck has a posi trac end but it’s one legging it if I do a burn out I’ve looked up parts for it but now I’m trying look up how to Disassemble and rebuild I kinda got the basic from watching chrisfix off of YouTube but nothing for the 9 1/4 rear
Well the LSD is not very great in these trucks. Well I shouldn't say not great because it works as designed, but it is pretty mild. So it is certainly conceivable that the LSD is working properly but it won't result in dual tire marks every time you burn out. Just don't get your hopes up I guess is what I'm saying.

I'll see if my manual has anything for a 9 1/4 but I don't think it did.

Old 02-24-2019, 11:55 PM
tbugden
All Star

Nothing in my '95 manual. This is from a '00 manual. Hope it helps.

Old 02-25-2019, 08:48 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Just as a note - the first gen didn't come with a 9.25 rear end, that was phased in with the second gen.

Secondly - LSDs do wear out. That's why the clutch style has rebuild kits available.

Thirdly - even if it's 2nd gen, your truck is old enough that it might be worn out; time to rebuild if it's the TrakLok.

(The SureGrip is a cone style, and is nominally not rebuildable. Nominally; there's ways to do it I've been told, but not anything I could do in a garage.)

So fourthly - as TBugden hinted at, read your factory service manual and see what it takes to rebuild one. The FSM for your year truck. And since you claim a 9.25, try posting in the proper forum.

RwP

Old 02-25-2019, 12:27 PM
Noonbailey501
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My bad Rwp I meant to put 8 1/4 but as tbugden said it maybe just be a hit and miss or the clutches are wearing out

Old 02-25-2019, 03:29 PM
tbugden
All Star

Ah I thought someone might've installed a 9 1/4 axle in your truck that's why I didn't question it. The info you want is in the FAQ https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...e-manuals.html under PDF Downloadable service manuals.

Quick Reply: Rear diff slipping