1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Dies, bad idle, missing, all somewhat random.

Old 03-24-2019, 03:38 AM
Shelbyfan
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dies, bad idle, missing, all somewhat random.

235,000 miles and it's starting to wear out .

For about a year now it will randomly act like it's missing some or all the spark plugs during. It has recently started happening while moving instead of after I restart it. I have replaced the ais, that did nothing, and tps, that fixed other problems. My mechanic, whom I trust, said that sometimes with high mileage these vehicles can have the chips, or wiring, or boards or whatever the computer is made, become losel when they heat up and it absolutely gotten worse since the temperature has started to rise, it stalled out on me in the middle of an intersection two days ago.

​​​​​​It also has has a long term problem of dying when idling down like when coming to a stop light. May or may not be related.

Any ideas what it may be. Also where is the best to get a computer? Not worried about performance but since it's a 5.2 5 speed, 1994 SLT 4wd, computers seem to be more scarce.

Old 03-24-2019, 11:54 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

AIS? I'm not familiar with that abbreviation.

Dying when idling down signifies a problem with the idle speed controller; but, it can also be a problem with the plenum gasket which is not uncommon on a Magnum V6 or V8 motor. Before I worried too much about the ECU, I'd get that checked.

Quick visual is to look down into the intake, through the throttle body (with it not running!) and see if it's oily in the bottom of the plenum. If it's oily, most likely the plenum gasket is blown and it's sucking oily air in the bottom.

While it's out, consider a valley pan; Marty Fletcher is selling them now. (It's not necessary, but it can't hurt to keep the hot oil off the bottom of the plenum!)

As to the ECU ... before I tore into one, I'd make DARN sure the 60 pin connector was clean, the contacts tight. and that it had adequate dielectric grease in it to retard oxidation.

There's very few (as in none AFAIK!) socketed components inside the ECU.

But, for a 1994, worst case chase down the Dodge and Cardone part numbers ( for a manual 5.2, OE # 56028262 is Cardone 798262 and OE # 56028263 is Cardone 798263).

WORST case - there's always after market ECUs like the MegaSquirt. Or drop a carb style intake on it and use the various 4 barrel EFI kits out there (that's a bit pricier, alas.)

(Your problem is that manual transmission - I can find auto ECUs all over the place, alas.)

If it helps, a 1995 should drop straight in. A 92/93 can be coaxed to work; it's expecting a different flow rate injector. Car-Parts.COM does show a 1992 as I peek; that may be gone by the time you read this, though.

Push comes to shove, and it IS the ECU, you can find 1996 V8 Manuals and with a donor, get the in-cab and engine bay wiring harnesses; and convert to the OBDII JTEC ECU. That also means you can buy a tuner and fiddle with the tuning for the motor; with that, someone like Ryan (Flyin' Ryan Performance, http://frptuning.com ) or Marty Fletcher ( http://utawesomeperformance.com ) can tune out the auto dependencies in the ECU so you now have a much wider choice of ECUs to work with.

RwP

Old 03-24-2019, 07:02 PM
Shelbyfan
Professional

Originally Posted by RalphP
AIS? I'm not familiar with that abbreviation.

Dying when idling down signifies a problem with the idle speed controller; but, it can also be a problem with the plenum gasket which is not uncommon on a Magnum V6 or V8 motor. Before I worried too much about the ECU, I'd get that checked.

Quick visual is to look down into the intake, through the throttle body (with it not running!) and see if it's oily in the bottom of the plenum. If it's oily, most likely the plenum gasket is blown and it's sucking oily air in the bottom.

While it's out, consider a valley pan; Marty Fletcher is selling them now. (It's not necessary, but it can't hurt to keep the hot oil off the bottom of the plenum!)

As to the ECU ... before I tore into one, I'd make DARN sure the 60 pin connector was clean, the contacts tight. and that it had adequate dielectric grease in it to retard oxidation.

RwP
did the kegger mod a few years back. Still dry at the bottom. No way I am pulling that manifold off again.
pins on the computer were spotless, not a spec of corrosion.
AIS, meant to write IAS. Sensor at the back of the TB. But, it still might be bad, because we all know the quality of sensors.

Thanks for those part numbers. Looks like summit has one in stock.

Last edited by Shelbyfan; 03-24-2019 at 07:08 PM.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:00 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Inlet Air Temperature - IAT?

RwP

Old 03-28-2019, 11:02 AM
Shelbyfan
Professional

So after some testing and buying a new multimeter. Looks like my MAP sensor was bad. Been driving it and it runs better than it has in years.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dies, bad idle, missing, all somewhat random.