DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   1st Gen Dakota Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-dakota-tech-66/)
-   -   Oxgen Sensor 88 Dakota 3.9 V6 2WD (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-dakota-tech/422952-oxgen-sensor-88-dakota-3-9-v6-2wd.html)

Josh89Griffin 04-25-2019 12:07 PM

Oxgen Sensor 88 Dakota 3.9 V6 2WD

Anybody have any suggestions on changing out the oxygen sensor on a 88 Dakota 3.9 V6 2WD?! I got under the truck the other day & I can not see where the oxygen sensor plugs into.

96360 04-25-2019 12:11 PM

Try harder. If you can find the o2 sensor you can find its plug. Its not very long. Is say 12" max if its the front one. Unless someones put in one of those junk universal ones.

Josh89Griffin 04-25-2019 12:18 PM

Once I jack the truck up and put jack stands underneath the truck, I can find the oxygen sensor find on the passenger. It is screwed into the "Y" pipe. The plug goes up above it where I can not see the end of it where it is plugged in.
Should I pull on the wires coming off of the old oxygen sensor, to maybe pull the connector down?

Originally Posted by 96360 (Post 3436893)
Try harder. If you can find the o2 sensor you can find its plug. Its not very long. Is say 12" max if its the front one. Unless someones put in one of those junk universal ones.

96360 04-25-2019 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Josh89Griffin (Post 3436894)
Once I jack the truck up and put jack stands underneath the truck, I can find the oxygen sensor find on the passenger. It is screwed into the "Y" pipe. The plug goes up above it where I can not see the end of it where it is plugged in.
Should I pull on the wires coming off of the old oxygen sensor, to maybe pull the connector down?

I wouldn't do that. But id give them a tug and then see what I can find.

RalphP 04-25-2019 04:34 PM

If you're replacing ...

Look at the connector on the new one. Look against the firewall, behind the passenger valve cover, and see the same connector there.

Take the old one out; tie the wires from the new one to the old O2 sensor; pull the wiring up (it becomes much easier with it off!); and that'll let you locate the connector.

Page 8W-24 shows it on top of the transmission. I would think that putting your hand on the wiring at the top of the HEGO sensor, and following it up, should get you to the connector.

RwP

Josh89Griffin 05-01-2019 05:04 PM

Any recommendations on taking the old O2 sensor out? I heard spray with PB Blaster, let dry, run the truck. Do that for several days.

Originally Posted by RalphP (Post 3436916)
If you're replacing ...

Look at the connector on the new one. Look against the firewall, behind the passenger valve cover, and see the same connector there.

Take the old one out; tie the wires from the new one to the old O2 sensor; pull the wiring up (it becomes much easier with it off!); and that'll let you locate the connector.

Page 8W-24 shows it on top of the transmission. I would think that putting your hand on the wiring at the top of the HEGO sensor, and following it up, should get you to the connector.

RwP

RalphP 05-01-2019 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Josh89Griffin (Post 3437707)
Any recommendations on taking the old O2 sensor out? I heard spray with PB Blaster, let dry, run the truck. Do that for several days.

That's about the best I've heard.

Don't ask me though; the muffler shop put an extra bung in the pipe for my new one years ago, and I've got a dead one in the Y pipe (and since I had to replace the driver's exhaust manifold, a dead one in that one since that's where the 87s had the O2 sensor … )

RwP

Josh89Griffin 05-02-2019 01:53 PM

Thank You RalphP!

Originally Posted by RalphP (Post 3437717)
That's about the best I've heard.

Don't ask me though; the muffler shop put an extra bung in the pipe for my new one years ago, and I've got a dead one in the Y pipe (and since I had to replace the driver's exhaust manifold, a dead one in that one since that's where the 87s had the O2 sensor … )

RwP