DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   1st Gen Dakota Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-dakota-tech-66/)
-   -   96 V8 5.2 4x4 transmission pan removal (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-dakota-tech/423319-96-v8-5-2-4x4-transmission-pan-removal.html)

moonfriedpotatoes 05-13-2019 03:47 PM

96 V8 5.2 4x4 transmission pan removal

Hey all! First post after reading for years...

Got rid of both my Cummins, and now am the proud owner of a 1996 Dakota. Runs great, very satisfied with it.

Checked tranny fluid the other day, looked dark and low and the shifting was a little clunky, so I decided to drop the tranny pan and change the filter.

It's been difficult to figure out which tranny I have, have seen some places saying 42re, others 44re, others 45rfe, others 46re. I ordered a filter and gasket that should fit 42/44/45, got 5L of mopar 4+, watched vids and read threads and went to it. I've done the 46re on a 2008 Cummins and it was no big deal.

This one, however, has me stumped. The pan won't come out!! Theres not enough space between the exhaust Y and the rear frame cross member to wiggle the pan out. I even unbolted the frame member and knocked it down and back 0.5-1 inch, and still no dice.

Have seen some places say to take off front drive shaft, but that doesn't seem to be in the way, and I can't get the frame member all the way out without a Porto power spreader. The exhaust clamp and flange bolts are rusted to high hell and I feel like they will just shear off if I put any torque to them.

All the videos I've looked at show way more space in this area like the pan should just drop out. Also, the filter is a thin sheet of fabric rather than the 3/4" thick metal doodad I ordered.

My questions:
what tranny do I have? Pan has 14 bolts.
How do i get this @#$% pan out? Do I need to get a Porto power and drop out the frame, or should I risk undoing the rusty exhaust Y?

Any and all help is appreciated.
1996 Dakota v8 5.2? 4x4

Thanks,
Chris

volaredon 05-13-2019 03:57 PM

will be a 46RE, externally the same as the 48RE in your Cummins. May have to drop the Y pipe (stupid I know) I had to do that with 1 of mine. at least no studs in manifold, they are thru bolts, like 3/8" X 2-1/2 or so. get up in there with a Dremel if you have to and cut them between the flange on the manifold and the flange on the Y pipe. Mighty only have to do pass side and then get enuf flex out of it that the driver side can be left alone.
dropping the cross member DOES NOT require a porta power to get out, done it a few times myself/ but it aint gonna help you any in getting that pan out, anyways. that Y pipe is tougher than you think. it isn't a high grade of it but it is stainless.... much better material than plain old aluminized steel, better than any aftermarket Y pipe will be made of.....

moonfriedpotatoes 05-13-2019 06:45 PM

Thanks volaredon! That did the trick! Nothing broken or mangled either so I'm ahead of the curve.

One more quick question. Is there any gasket material on the exhaust Y flange joints, or is it just a flare fitting kind of deal?
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/dodgefo...e1ccb4727d.jpg

RalphP 05-13-2019 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by volaredon (Post 3438947)
... that Y pipe is tougher than you think. it isn't a high grade of it but it is stainless.... much better material than plain old aluminized steel, better than any aftermarket Y pipe will be made of.....

I dunno, the Magnaflow stainless Y pipe is pretty darn good material.

RwP

volaredon 05-14-2019 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by RalphP (Post 3438965)
I dunno, the Magnaflow stainless Y pipe is pretty darn good material.

RwP

yeah but I don't see most "typical average" Dakota owners going for Magnaflow , for most it would be Walker or Maremont….. those are most common brands of replacement exhaust

RalphP 05-14-2019 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by volaredon (Post 3439008)
yeah but I don't see most "typical average" Dakota owners going for Magnaflow , for most it would be Walker or Maremont….. those are most common brands of replacement exhaust

When Magnaflow is the ONLY brand available ...

Walker and Maremont don't list Y pipes for a 1988 anymore.

RwP

volaredon 05-15-2019 06:56 AM

didn't realize that, have never had to replace a Y pipe on any Dakota yet but have done lots of exhaust in my jobs I have worked over the years, living in the middle of the Salt belt contributes to that.... I hate winter. and your typical "chain" auto repair place ( worked at Sears for 13 years) doesn't get into "performance" exhaust.... all OEM stock type replacement stuff used there.....