1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

fuel delivery issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2019, 01:18 AM
ramcharger2
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright long story short. i had a good write up but my browser crashed and lost it. the trucks fixed . the problem was the wiring harness mounts rusted and failed dropping it under the fender . it then wrapped its self up around the front suspension . i must of hit a pot hole in the ally and it clipped 3 of the wires clean and chewed up one. i made repairs and it fired right up and runs like a brand new truck. i never thought about the wires being clipped like this because every where i was looking the wires looked clean and with out issue. i spotted a dangling wire while under the truck and took the front tire off and then found this mess. Thanks for putting up with some of my dumb questions. electrical is kind of a weak topic for me. Thanks for the help trouble shooting.

Old 06-29-2019, 11:00 AM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 131 Likes on 123 Posts

Good for you!

Old 06-29-2019, 04:47 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Think of electrical like plumbing; cut wires like cut hoses; corrosion like roots plugging up the pipes.

RwP

Old 07-07-2019, 10:49 AM
Azboyinmi
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ramcharger2
honestly. i dont mean to be a pest. but is there anyway some one can explain what im looking for for the splice here? i tired to read the manual i downloaded but it is literally Greek to me. i dont understand why some manuals have to be so complicated. all i can see is numbers and crude sketches of what the wiring looks like. if they would just be so kind as to say "this red wire from here goes to here. or this pink wire goes here check here" it would makes a lot more sense . perhaps im blind though. *sigh*
Got to your under hood fuse box and find your ASD relay. Now un bolt your fuse box from the inner fender and flip it over. Find the wires that go to the slot for the ASD. Now follow those wires. Those wires are the "splice" that everyone talks about. You'll see a spot where 3 of the wires get soldered into one larger wire. It should be about 6 to 12 inches away from the fuse box. But there's several other splices as well so once you check/fix the first one.... Keep going and find the rest.
Word of advice.... Pull your entire harness out of the truck and rebuild it. Go over every single solder"splice" and connection. Use lots of electronic cleaner, resplice all of the factory splices with fresh solder and make sure u use 3:1 self sealing heat shrink tubing to make sure your connections stay completely out of the weather. Use some fine grit sandpaper and a tooth pick to clean the contact surfaces on every connector. Re wrap the harness in wire harness tape. Please don't use electrical tape whatever you do, I found out the hard way that it melts and turns into a gooey mess. Click on my name, I did a small write up on my harness

Old 07-07-2019, 04:44 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 131 Likes on 123 Posts

The tape you want is friction Tape. About $3 for 30 ft at Ace hardware

Last edited by onemore94dak; 07-10-2019 at 07:52 PM.
The following users liked this post:
RalphP (07-07-2019)

Quick Reply: fuel delivery issue