1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Stubborn Noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2022, 09:26 AM
tbugden
All Star
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Glad you found it bronze. There IS still the possibility that the guys did loosen or start to loosen those bolts and just make no adjustment, but indeed it's less likely.

I should go check mine too. Mine were totally rotted, it's a wonder I got them out at all. So i replaced them but i can't recall what size they are offhand. M14 fine pitch maybe?

Old 03-19-2022, 10:24 AM
bronze
Record Breaker
Received 439 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by tbugden
Glad you found it bronze. There IS still the possibility that the guys did loosen or start to loosen those bolts and just make no adjustment, but indeed it's less likely.

I should go check mine too. Mine were totally rotted, it's a wonder I got them out at all. So i replaced them but i can't recall what size they are offhand. M14 fine pitch maybe?
Yeah, it's unlikely they touched those pivot bar nuts. I grabbed some 9/16 - 12 hex nuts at Lowes and they did not fit. The 9/16 seemed correct but it would have to be a different thread count from 12. I was going to pick up some metric to try but they didn't have any M14s. They maxed out at M12s. So if you're gonna try to find the right size you can eliminate 9/16 - 12s. Also, if you can somehow get the thread dimensions from these...

6031282 Nut
3815473 Bolt

Good luck trying to find them, though. Based on availability (none) I would take care of your nuts before they rot.

Might be worth taking those nuts and bolts off a junker next time you go to a boneyard.

Old 03-19-2022, 04:10 PM
tndakman
Rookie
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm sure glad that you found the problem that was causing the mysterious noise. Are you gonna replace the bolt & nut combo on the upper control arm(s) & go for a test ride before you officially deem it repaired? I bet ol' RalphP is looking down w/a big smile on his face! RIP Ralph.

Your not giving up on finding that mystery noise just proves ...check & check again..well done, sir. And thanks for sharing.

The following users liked this post:
bronze (03-20-2022)
Old 03-19-2022, 06:32 PM
tbugden
All Star
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by bronze
Yeah, it's unlikely they touched those pivot bar nuts. I grabbed some 9/16 - 12 hex nuts at Lowes and they did not fit. The 9/16 seemed correct but it would have to be a different thread count from 12. I was going to pick up some metric to try but they didn't have any M14s. They maxed out at M12s. So if you're gonna try to find the right size you can eliminate 9/16 - 12s. Also, if you can somehow get the thread dimensions from these...

6031282 Nut
3815473 Bolt

Good luck trying to find them, though. Based on availability (none) I would take care of your nuts before they rot.

Might be worth taking those nuts and bolts off a junker next time you go to a boneyard.
Mine came from a hardware store (I scoured like four different ones), even back in 2013 when I did all the work on it, those bolts were long gone from all stock everywhere.

I did a little searching and I guess they were probably M14-2.0.

Old 03-19-2022, 06:56 PM
bronze
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by tbugden
Mine came from a hardware store (I scoured like four different ones), even back in 2013 when I did all the work on it, those bolts were long gone from all stock everywhere.

I did a little searching and I guess they were probably M14-2.0.
I think you’re right. That would be my next guess. Wish I’d get me a thread gauge. It’s not like they cost anything.

Old 03-20-2022, 08:00 AM
bronze
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by tndakman
I'm sure glad that you found the problem that was causing the mysterious noise. Are you gonna replace the bolt & nut combo on the upper control arm(s) & go for a test ride before you officially deem it repaired? I bet ol' RalphP is looking down w/a big smile on his face! RIP Ralph.

Your not giving up on finding that mystery noise just proves ...check & check again..well done, sir. And thanks for sharing.
The nut n bolt are in excellent shape. No corrosion, threads pristine. The truck is quiet as a church mouse. Front end alignment tomorrow and I'm calling it done. And with this, I am done with repairs on my truck (for now). There is nothing that remains that needs to be done. This all started last July with a new muffler and catalytic converter. Soooo many new parts on that truck since. And parts that Ralph recommended. I'm very happy I listened to him. When you consider all the work put into these repairs the dumbest thing you can do is skimp on parts. Touche' Ralph!

The following users liked this post:
tndakman (03-20-2022)
Old 03-21-2022, 05:29 PM
bronze
Record Breaker

So alignment is done. Good idea to get it done because both camber and toe were out of the acceptable spec range on the side that had loose nuts. So he adjusted both sides and got caster, camber, and toe all real close to the midpoint of the acceptable ranges. Yes, his spec on his machine is exactly the same as what is in my FSM. He clearly took the time to get it all dead nuts. The torque spec is 155 ft/lbs. I got a click at 120 ft/lbs on my torque wrench before running out of oomph. So he is at 120 ft/lbs minimum likely more.

Very happy with the care he took with this alignment. Excellent work.

And a thank you to all who contributed to helping me track down this very frustrating problem. It’s a big relief to have this behind me.

Old 03-21-2022, 09:36 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,381 Likes on 3,121 Posts

So, how does it drive now?

Old 03-22-2022, 09:06 AM
bronze
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by HeyYou
So, how does it drive now?
With all the work I have done to this truck since last summer it seriously drives the best it has since it was brand new. No question! The handling is impeccable, tracks down the road like it is part of the road, the magnum purrs like a kitten, it's smooth as silk, quiet as a church mouse (for a truck), and still looks great! Cruising at 65 MPH it doesn't even feel like it's expending any effort. No vibrations, no shakes, no nuthin'. Everything works except the ashtray light and at 29 years old and 182,000 miles, it's just breaking in.

Old 03-22-2022, 09:14 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,381 Likes on 3,121 Posts

Originally Posted by bronze
With all the work I have done to this truck since last summer it seriously drives the best it has since it was brand new. No question! The handling is impeccable, tracks down the road like it is part of the road, the magnum purrs like a kitten, it's smooth as silk, quiet as a church mouse (for a truck), and still looks great! Cruising at 65 MPH it doesn't even feel like it's expending any effort. No vibrations, no shakes, no nuthin'. Everything works except the ashtray light and at 29 years old and 182,000 miles, it's just breaking in.

Awesome!

I need to do some front end work on my truck, I am just not looking forward to beating the crap out of my wallet for it.

Quick Reply: Stubborn Noise