1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Odd Problems With '92 Dakota

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 04:26 PM
92DakotaLE
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd Problems With '92 Dakota

1992 Dodge Dakota LE 4x4
318 V-8
Auto Trans

I've been having to run 93 octane to keep the pinging to a minimum. A timing light reveals my timing at idle is around 15-25 BTDC, and it should be 10 BTDC. Book says that the computer (ECU) handles the timing, and that no adjustments can be made. So I figured the computer may be bad. I replaced it with a new one and the truck seemed to run better...smoother. The pinging went away for two days, then came right back.Timing is still way off. Engine runs kinda on the hot side on hot days. I've replaced distributor cap and rotor, coil, plugs, and wires, still no change. I also made sure that the distributor is installed correctly. I found TDC on the #1 cylinder and the rotor was pointing at the #1 wire...so all is good there. Not sure what else to do here, guys. The truck runs kinda hot, doesn't have the power that it should, and sputters sometimes when under load...like going up a hill....all things pointing to a timing issue, which I can't adjust. WTF??? Any insight would be greatly appritiated.

PS: Oh, I almost forgot. Since I installed the new computer, there's a new symptom. I start the engine, it runs for maybe 10 seconds, then shuts off by itself. Turn the key, the starter cranks, but no ignition. I checked for spark out of the coil and got nothing. Replaced coil and problem stayed. The truck will eventually start like 1 hour later. I can't drive the truck to work right now cause I'm worried it'll shut off in traffic. I put the old computer back in and it started right up, but with the same old timing issue. I also made sure the new computer is the correct one. Again, I'm lost! Any help is greatly appritiated!!!

Kind Regards

Old 07-09-2007, 01:38 PM
kahanabob
Captain
Default RE: Odd Problems With '92 Dakota

My old 90 started to ping after 100k miles. I just retarted the timing ever-so-slightly and it fixed it.

Old 07-09-2007, 10:51 PM
blue95

Sounds like the plenum gasket. I was using 93 octane and getting about 12 mpg before fixing mine. Now I use the cheap gas and last week got about 20 mpg highway.

Look down the throttle body for wet black deposits-it's oil.

Old 07-10-2007, 07:31 PM
92DakotaLE

ORIGINAL: blue95

Sounds like the plenum gasket. I was using 93 octane and getting about 12 mpg before fixing mine. Now I use the cheap gas and last week got about 20 mpg highway.

Look down the throttle body for wet black deposits-it's oil.
Could you explain to me where the plenum gasket goes? Is it the Intake Manifold gasket or TB gasket?

Old 07-10-2007, 11:05 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yea, basically intake manifold gasket.
To view the TSB on this (providing part numbers and instructions), click here.

Quick Reply: Odd Problems With '92 Dakota