1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Am I running too rich?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 07:55 PM
dblackmanc
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I running too rich?

'95 V6 5 Spd. 211,800 miles.
I've only had this Dakota for a few weeks and only driven it for about 600 miles mostly around town. I drive it very easy and getting about 17 mpg.
My concern is that the exhaust pipes (it has duals from a flowmaster) are black and sooty. Drag your finger around inside the pipe and it gets a dry black power coating. Never any smoke, fuel or oil, and does not burn any oil. Sooo is this normal for a '95 model? I don't see this on my newer cars and if I were seeing this condition on my Harleys I would know they are running too rich. If too rich what is the cause and what is the solution? O2 sensor, computer, etc?
Thanks,
Dan

Last edited by dblackmanc; 03-08-2012 at 06:58 PM.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:23 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Sounds like your might be rich with the carbon build up. Yes the O2 sensor could be a cause, even if the check engine light isn't on it can be bad. A few other possibilities is a leaky fuel injector or to high fuel pressure regulator, incomplete spark.

Old 03-09-2012, 07:40 AM
dblackmanc
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Crazy....
Fuel pressure is about 40 psi. I'll run a can or two of Seafoam through her and also pull a few spark plugs and see what they look like. If anything interesting shows up I'll be back.
Dan

Quick Reply: Am I running too rich?