1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Help! Headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 05:50 PM
Robbs95dak
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Headlights?

I have a 95 Dak with a headlight problem! The lights have gotten dim over the years and that is understandable. But the problem I have is when they are on bright, if you pull back on the arm like you would flash your brights (even though they are already on), they light up twice as bright. My dims have gotten real bad too! Does this sound like a bad ground or switch or what?

Old 11-21-2007, 06:01 PM
BuckTracker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Help! Headlights?

Sounds like when both hi and low beam are on at the same time.

Old 11-21-2007, 06:28 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Help! Headlights?

Take a look at the headlight lenses. The plastic tends to become cloudy (yellow; hazy; whatever you want to call it) over time. They sell a crap-load of products for this, but the only thing I've used is simple polishing compound. Rub the polshing compound directly onto the plastic and rub it back out. Repeat a few times, and it will clear up.
Won't be as good as new (it wil be a lot better than it was ), and it will eventually suffer from the same problen, but so will brand new lenses overtime.

When switching from dim to bright, it will engage both dim and bright until you release the stalk back to normal position. If it doesn't disengage one, I'd guess the switch is bad.

Quick Reply: Help! Headlights?