1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

What's the chance my transmission is gone?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 09:50 PM
Siwon
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the chance my transmission is gone?

So I went a cheap route and I cut about 6 inches of the metal transmission lines (both of them) with a pipe cutter because there was a leak.

I put a hose and 2 clamps on each both lines, since they were already clamped onto the radiator.

I was driving back from a 35 minute drive today (I drove the truck about 30 miles yesterday too) until I felt my RPM's were going about 2500 and back down to around 1900. Then I felt the truck losing engine power.

I pulled over to the side of the highway-like road and seen smoke.

Transmission fluid.. EVERYWHERE. All over the under carrage near the bumper. The radiator fan blew it up and around behind the steering fluid case and it's all over the ground.

The two hoses I put on are still on tight and clamped, I'm not sure if one has a crack on the bottom or not, but I think it's possible.
I had to towed back home and I drove it about 3 feet in DRIVE and then reversed into my parking spot.

It stalled out or something when I switched it to reverse, I had to turn the engine off and turn it back on.

What are the chances my transmission is gone?

Old 02-08-2012, 11:48 PM
marcar1993
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really depends how much fluid you lost, how long you drove it that way, and if it lost enough fluid to drop the pressure enough to slip it to death.

Old 02-09-2012, 10:15 AM
bjr1a
Professional

There are variables here, but if your trans was in good shape your probably ok...The good news here is that fluid came out at a massive rate..Generally when fluid comes out at a massive rate the trans will quit pulling before damage will occur....Now if the trans had a problem before the breakdown , it could be possible that the fluid loss may quicken up the process of failure.....I would advise in this case to just cross bridges as they come....

Old 02-09-2012, 11:37 AM
Siwon
Professional

There is a guy on Craigslist he wants 300 for the transmission out of his wrecked Dakota its a 3.9 auto 2wd like mine, just in case the trans is bad.

Old 02-09-2012, 02:26 PM
Siwon
Professional

Replaced the two hoses with high PSI fuel injection hoses and filled er up. Runs great and shifts great, I think it shifts better than before (faster, more smoother shift).. now to get some purple power and clean up under the hood.

Old 02-09-2012, 10:34 PM
sweeting
Banned

f the trans had a problem before the breakdown , it could be possible that the fluid loss may quicken up the process of failure.

Old 02-11-2012, 11:14 AM
dobaroy
Veteran

Siwon, hopefully you got the leak solved now but if it should happen again, try some hydraulic hose. There must be some wicked pressure at those hoses because they are tough to keep on after you have worked with them.

Old 02-11-2012, 12:37 PM
Siwon
Professional

These high PSI fuel injection hoses are supposed to sustain up to 90PSI or something.

I called Berglund Dodge the other day and they said the transmission coolant lines with a closed throttle go from 54-65 PSI.

I'm not sure if it goes higher with an open throttle, or when in overdrive.

If these hoses ever do fail, I might as well just put the regular transmission lines on, but the one on the right side is hard to get to with a regular wrench I think you need a specific tool for it. It goes up and around into some cubby hole.

Quick Reply: What's the chance my transmission is gone?