1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:54 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior
Print Wikipost

windshield wiper problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 11:33 PM
oxygen454
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Wow old thread. I hate wiper problems. Mine is smacking the bottom of the window when the wiper comes back to the start of the cycle. Drives me nuts and haven't had a chance to diagnose the cause. It rains here all year round so I will have to look into the problem.

I know the blades are the right ones (length etc) so something else is up.

Old 05-06-2011, 12:35 AM
MoparMan1995
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oxygen454, Sounds like your issue can be fixed as easily as taking off the wiper arm(s) and moving it/them slightly upwards then where it was when u took it off then re-mounting it. Not sure if I explained that well enough but hopefully you get what I mean. Say when your looking at your windshield and the wipers are turned off and all the way down in the normal off position and your one wiper is too far down like this -\ then you can take it off and lay it where it should be like this -- (horizontal to your windshield). Strange description but it should work for ya. Keep us updated?

Old 05-06-2011, 01:58 AM
oxygen454
Veteran

I think I see what you are getting at. The arms are mounted on a gear tooth type bolt like a steering wheel? So take the wiper blade of and rotate it counter clockwise a bit and put it back on the gear tooth style bolt? Repositioning the wiper arm on the arm mounting attachment. Will look into that thanks!

Old 05-06-2011, 02:01 AM
oxygen454
Veteran

Similar to this pick I found? ... this makes sense... a gear spline.

Old 05-06-2011, 01:56 PM
MoparMan1995
Professional

Yeah, your explanation was better then mine, lol, but that's where I was headed. From a logical standpoint it should definitely work. Let us know how it goes?

Old 05-11-2011, 11:11 PM
oxygen454
Veteran

Thanks for the help. You solution worked out great! The picture above does look similar to the wiper arm attachment on my truck. No more smacking the bottom of the window!!

My friends Nissan truck is 100 times worse. Hers goes too low then and goes up to wipe about 2 inches off the truck. I haven't figured that problem out yet LOL. I took the cover off where the arm is but I could not access or see any adjustment on her window wiper system.

Old 05-12-2011, 01:42 PM
MoparMan1995
Professional

Originally Posted by oxygen454
Thanks for the help. You solution worked out great! The picture above does look similar to the wiper arm attachment on my truck. No more smacking the bottom of the window!!
Glad It worked and glad to help!

Originally Posted by oxygen454
My friends Nissan truck is 100 times worse. Hers goes too low then and goes up to wipe about 2 inches off the truck. I haven't figured that problem out yet LOL. I took the cover off where the arm is but I could not access or see any adjustment on her window wiper system.
Since you said truck I assume it only has front windshield wipers and not one in the back window that has the problem. With her problem I would take a can of WD-40 and spray all of the windshield wiper linkage and spray some down in the gear spline area where the splines rotate to move the wipers. On a Chevy Blazer I had, the rear windshield wiper used to barely move at all in a way that seems to match your problem, in that case I also took apart the motor to the wiper and sprayed it with WD-40 and it worked again all the way until I got rid of the Blazer. I think doing that with her wiper motor (regardless of whether the motor is for the front windshield or the back window) and that should work for her. If you cannot take the motor apart you can always spray the linkage behind the motor and the linkage all around it and try to find a small hole in the motor casing if there is one and try and get some in there. If all else fails...it seems she is going to need a new wiper motor. Good luck, let us know how it goes?

Old 06-25-2011, 03:19 PM
oxygen454
Veteran

Hey thanks for the info. Haven't been online for a while. I have not come up with a way to get to the wiper system yet so my friends wiper problem still exists. Her issue is not a barely moving problem, its a over wipe problem. It starts really low and finishes the wipe at the top side.... right off the side of the truck. Waayyy to much wiping travel. So the opposite of your Blazer lol.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:59 PM
boarhunter

I know this is a bit old of a thread but where can I find wiper spline for the arms to connect, mine are now both useless. 93 dakota 5.2

Old 08-06-2014, 12:16 PM
arnoldosolis

Hello! i bought a used 2007 dakota and sign an AS IS document it apeared everything was ok but when the rain came i found out the windshield wipers weren't working. The wipers motor is not making any sound so i checked the fuse and saw that is in good condition (i changed it for a new one, anyway) I'm writting here to see if anyone can give an idea of what should i inspect.

Quick Reply: windshield wiper problem