1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:54 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior
Print Wikipost

windshield wiper problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 07:29 PM
Kyle Samuel
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not selling mine I'm just trying to get my truck fixed so that i can get my inspection and actually drive her. If you have the bushings though put a picture in this thread so that i can see them and make sure its the right piece.

Old 07-07-2018, 08:35 PM
tbugden
All Star
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Kyle, I think you've misunderstood. No one is asking to buy anything from you.

Old 07-08-2018, 01:56 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyle Samuel
not selling mine I'm just trying to get my truck fixed so that i can get my inspection and actually drive her. If you have the bushings though put a picture in this thread so that i can see them and make sure its the right piece.
I did, well of the HELP! packages. The right box has ten, the middle hanger has two, you need 3 bushings for a complete rebuild. You also need one of the left hanger bushings.

I'm sorry I wasn't clear, I was talking to tbugden about the wiper arms.

RwP

Old 07-09-2018, 09:38 AM
Snowman451
Amateur

Ralph....For clarity, how many bushings of each type are needed for a full redo of the linkage? I'm experiencing the over-wipe scenario described on the Nissan in post 16, where I'm hitting the cowl then over-wiping onto the a-pillar when on high.

Old 07-09-2018, 04:33 PM
RalphP
Champion

Three of the closed bushings, and one of the open ones.

So two of the closed bushing blister packs, with one spare, and one of the open bushing blister packs, again with one spare.

RwP

Old 07-10-2018, 08:28 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

just had to do that very thing for my 92 yesterday. pass side wiper pivot had the spline break from the shaft, replaced all the bushings and tried to weld the 2 pieces together when I had my original wiper transmission out..... worked for about a month, couldn't lay the weld on or burn it in very hot as the pivot that it spins in is plastic, in my case, since all bushings are new, I think that I will just replace the pass side wiper pivot and pop the driver side pivot off of the rest of the junkyard linkage, tag it, and toss it in my bottom toolbox drawer for a spare.... don't actually need the linkage in between.
and on the bushings.... check Dodge. they ARE still available. Not cheap but you do get what you pay for..... I have tried Dorman ones -- I remember when Dorman was largely Domestically made, now almost none of their stuff is... They are a thinner softer plastic, yes easier to pop in but I hope you like repeating the job in a year at most-- because you will. I like doing a given job on the same vehicle only ONE time. (besides consumables like tuneup parts, brakes, fluids and filters) using Dorman will give you a sense of "job security"!!!! I have bought these very bushings twice from my local Dodge garage twice this year-- had them on hand both times. and the extra effort to get them to pop in is worth it, have used them on other vehicles (I have only ever owned Dodges, never anything else to date) and on any given vehicle I have never had to do one twice. and I have been known to drive them into the ground, never afraid to take off at any time for any place.

Old 08-02-2019, 02:03 AM
Cwv1971
Default name of the 2 splines shafts

The arms don't want to come off the splined shafts. I know to pull the clip and wiggle it, but it's being just a big pain in the butt. My question is I can't seem to find the 2 splined shafts that the wiper arms attach to anywhere online. I've tried rock auto,Lmc Truck,dorman OE solutions. I have to change them. The shafts are just spinning inside the arm. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-02-2019, 09:21 AM
RalphP
Champion

Boneyard is the only current source. Unless you get really lucky at an Obsolete Parts vendor (check out Partsvoice and Rearcounter ... both linked in the FAQ2) Just as a note, from the 1986-1987 parts list, they list as:

4249 608-9 1 PIVOT, Wiper Pivot

Which means a 4249608 and a 4249609

What a few have done has been to drill a hole in the wiper arm, tap it, and put a lock screw in. Might have to drill into the driveshaft there to make sure it bites good.

Also, check the arms; I've seen THOSE desplined with age, and the Dormans I tried didn't have very well defined splines either.

Arms from similar vintage Jeeps fit and work, albeit they're not "right".

RwP

Last edited by RalphP; 08-02-2019 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Listed part numbers.
Old 08-02-2019, 10:06 PM
Cwv1971
Default Splined wiper shaft solutions

Thank you for your information. I will check to make sure the arms themselves aren't stripped. Where do I find FAQ2 ?

Old 08-02-2019, 10:23 PM
Cwv1971
Default Part #s ????

How were you able to come up with the part #s ? I worked for Dodge for about 3 years. Matter of fact that where I lost my dealership parts job virginity. Lol
Thank you Ralph

Quick Reply: windshield wiper problem