1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

loud whining noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 04:37 PM
slock
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default loud whining noise

hey, i own a 1993 dakota 5.2 318. every time i drive it i get a horribly annoying whining sound and the faster i go the high pitch it gets. its extremely annoying and it is over powering the sound of my dual exhaust. It seems like it is getting worse. It is not the brakes and the pitch varies on my speed. Very annoying whine. high pitch moped kind of sound. any help or info would be appreciated.\

eric

Old 01-18-2005, 04:56 PM
dakotaman321
Default RE: loud whining noise

hey man, i had a similar problem a while back, the whining sound could be an intake manifold gasket leak or a vacuum hose has fallen off. That is what i was told when i asked my friend who has a two tone 1993 dodge dakota, blue and tan, i hope that helps

Old 01-18-2005, 05:23 PM
hwystar

Does this noise only happen when it is extreamly cold outside? Mine makes the same noise but only when it is very cold out. After a short distance at highway speed it goes away. I think it is the tranny bitchin about the cold but as soon as it loosens up it stops whinning. Could also be the speedo pinion. My challenger used to do that if it sat too long. Hope this helps. Hwystar

Old 01-18-2005, 10:26 PM
slock

hey thanks alot, its definately coming from outside the truck so it hink i can rule out the speedo. it seems like it started when the cold weather came but here in virginia we just had a couple of 75 degree days and it didnt stop. someone else i talked to also said soming about he transmission. It does it even when im not on the gas so i think its in the drivetrain somehwere. prob trabnsmission. my 93 is blue and tan as well. this truck onlky has 65,000 miles on it so i think im gunna get it checked out before something else gets screwed up as a result. thanks for ur help
eric

Old 01-19-2005, 02:40 PM
hwystar

Now see you didn`t say anything about it happening when your are sitting at idle!! If I were you I would check the level on my power steering fluid. If the rack on your is like mine ( assuming you have 2wd) it likely leaks a little. A low level will deffinetly cause a loud whinning noise! I just hope this has`nt gone on too long cause you will burn out the pump if it is left too long. Hwystar

Old 01-19-2005, 03:35 PM
slock

i dont mean that it does it at idle when i say not on the gas. what i mean is that if im cruising at 45 miles an hour and just idling and cruising it will do it and as the speed of the truck changes the pitch changes. it does not make the sound when my wheels arent turning. only when immoving does it whine. it almost sounds like a shot bearing.
eric

Old 01-19-2005, 05:23 PM
hwystar

Ah yes in that case your right it`s in the drive line. could be a rearend bearing or a u-joint. Have you checked the tranny fluid? does it smell burnt or look dark? how long since your last tranny service? Could even be a wheel bearing but I would think that you would be able to feel a shimmy if it were that. The rear end fluid has to be changed from time to time as well (not trying to be a smart *** just trying to help I have no idea how much u know about cars although i am not a tech either) if the rear end was low it would make noise. Hwystar

Old 01-19-2005, 06:23 PM
GMsucks
Record Breaker

Are you sure it's not the wife/girlfriend?
Take a ride without and see if you still hear the whining sound.

Old 01-26-2005, 05:38 PM
slock

hey thanks, i did think about the rear end but have not gotten around to opening her up. the tranny fluid is fine and clean, although i do not belive it has been serviced recently. i added some so it is completely full. u-joints are a possibilty. its one of the 3 tranny, joints, rearend. its kinda funny when im just driving by myslef or onan empty road it does not do it. but once im around alot of people or have people in the car it starts right up. its the ludest when im pullin in to school. just to **** me off. bringin it into tranny shop tomarrow. later
eric

Old 01-28-2008, 04:13 PM
fishnfool15

If you have a 2 piece drive shaft, check the center support bearing. It's between the front and rear shafts. If the rubber is cracked replace it. While your're at it check the u joints too. When is the last time you repacked your wheel bearings?

Quick Reply: loud whining noise